How to Fix Explorer Freezing Problem with Large Zip Files in Windows Vista?
If you are a Windows Vista user and face Explorer freezing problem frequently, then this tutorial might help you.
Windows Vista has built-in support for zip files. It can create, extract, browse through zip files which is a good feature but this good feature can give you troubles if you are dealing with large zip files.
Actually this problem has been faced by lots of Vista users. Vista explorer freezes or starts taking 100% CPU resources while opening a large zip file or opening a folder containing a large zip file.
To fix this problem, you'll have to disable the built-in zip support in Windows Vista:
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. Now go to following key:
2. Under this key, delete following 2 keys:
3. Restart your system and now your problem should be fixed. You can use freeware like 7-Zip to open, create, extract zip files.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Guide] Download Windows 7 Setup ISO for Clean Installation
- VistaGlazz: Get Transparent Titlebar and Taskbar in Maximized Windows
- Microsoft Office 2013 Releases to Manufacturing (RTM), GA on January 29, 2013
- Download Best and Top 5 Free Firewall Software for Windows
- [Tip] Add Secret “Purge Memory” Button in Google Chrome Task Manager
- Download Realistic Fly, Ladybugs and Cockroaches for Your Desktop