[Fix] “Do You Want to Open This File?” Security Warning While Opening Start Menu or Taskbar Shortcuts in Windows
Recently one of our reader "Uewd" asked us about following problem:
When I open any program in start menu, I get this window: Open file - Security Warning. I can click open and the program I chose will open but why this error occurred?
Actually its a known problem in Windows Vista and later which occurs because of newly introduced Windows Integrity Levels. The problem might occur while opening shortcuts from start menu or Taskbar in Windows Vista and 7. It happens when the integrity level is changed for the start menu or Taskbar shortcuts.
You can fix the problem by resetting the integrity level using following simple steps:
1. Click on "Start button -> All Programs -> Accessories". Right-click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run As Administrator". If you are prompted to enter password, enter the password and continue. You can also open Command Prompt in Administrator mode by typing "cmd" in Start Menu Search box and press "Ctrl+Shift+Enter".
2. Now provide following commands one by one:
ICACLS "%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" /Setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)Medium
ICACLS "%userprofile%\Favorites\Links" /Setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)Medium
ICACLS "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" /Setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)Medium
ICACLS "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User pinned\Taskbar" /Setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)Medium
3. That's it. Now you should not get any file security warning dialog box while opening shortcuts from start menu and Taskbar in Windows.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Fix] “This File does not have a Program Associated with it for Performing This Action” Error Message in Windows
- How to Enable New 2-Step Verification Security Mechanism in Google Accounts?
- [Tip] Disable or Remove Windows 10 Lock Screen
- How to Remove Useless “Bookmarks” Button from Bookmarks Toolbar in Mozilla Firefox?
- Windows 8.1 August Update (aka Update 2) Coming on August 12
- How to Log Off, Restart or Shut Down in Windows 8 and Later?