How to enable “View” Option in Desktop Context Menu in Windows XP?
Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating systems show the "View" menu in Desktop context menu (the menu which appears when you right-click on Desktop). But Windows XP only shows the "View" menu in Windows Explorer.
This tutorial will help you in enabling the "View" menu in Desktop context menu in Windows XP as shown in following screenshot:
If you also want to have "View" menu in Windows XP Desktop context menu, check out following simple steps:
1. Open %windir%\System32\Shell32.dll file in Resource Hacker. Here %windir% represents "Windows" folder present in the drive where Windows is installed in your system.
2. Now go to:
Menu -> 215 -> 1033
3. In right-side pane, change the line:
POPUP "&View", 28674, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED, 0
POPUP "&View", 0, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED, 0
i.e., you have to only change the ID 28674 to 0. It can also be done by deleting the text after "&View" and after compilation resource hacker will automatically add the remaining part.
4. Now click on Compile Script button and save the file.
Now after restarting the PC, you'll see the VIEW menu on desktop and it'll work without any problem.
NOTE 1: After applying this tweak the "View" button present in Windows Explorer toolbar will stop working.
NOTE 2: If you are facing problems while saving the file after editing in resource hacker, then make sure you have disabled WFP (Windows File Protection) service using WFP Patcher or use Replacer to replace the file.
NOTE 3: If you get "Cannot create file" error message while saving the file, please check following tutorial:
Posted in: Windows XP
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Solution] How to Disable Menubar in Windows Vista and Later Explorer?
- How to Enable Secret “Middle Click to Paste Clipboard Content” Feature in Mozilla Firefox?
- Download Windows 8 “Aero Lite” Border Skin, ViStart Skin and Common Tasks for Windows XP
- Coolbarz: Freeware to Get Good Old Desktop Toolbar (Deskbar) Feature Back in Windows 7
- Download Free Microsoft Office Apps for Android Mobile Phones
- How to Remove Cortana Search Box, Task View and Touch Keyboard Buttons from Windows 10 Taskbar?