Many times Windows users face a common problem. The "Folder Options" in "Tools" menu is automatically removed or disabled in Windows Explorer. In fact you can't access it from Control Panel. Also whenever you try to open "Registry Editor", you get a message that its disabled by Administrator.
If you are also facing this problem, then you have come to right place. Follow the simple steps mentioned in this tutorial and your problem will be solved:
1. If Folder Options is disabled but Registry Editor is still working in your system, then you can enable Folder Options by editing Windows Registry. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. it'll open Registry Editor, now go to following keys:
In right-side pane, check whether a DWORD value named NoFolderOptions exists or not? If it exists, delete it.
2. If you are not familiar with editing the registry, then you can simply download following file, extract it and then run the .REG file:
3. But sometimes Registry Editor is also disabled. Whenever you try to open regedit, Windows will show following error message:
Registry Editor has been disabled by administrator.
Its a symptom of "RONTOKBRO" Trojan. To remove this trojan, follow the instructions given in following topic:
4. If its not a trojan problem and someone has disabled it intentionally in your system, then you can enable it again by using any of following 2 methods:
a. Type gpedit.msc in RUN dialog box and go to:
User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System
in right-side pane, set "Prevent access to Registry editing tools" to either Not Configured or Disabled.
b. Just type following in RUN dialog box and press <ENTER>:
REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Now after enabling Registry Editor, you can re-enable Folder Options by following methods mentioned in 1st or 2nd steps.
NOTE: You can enable Group Policy Editor in Windows 7 Home Basic and other editions using following tutorial:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- PaintRibbon: Get Windows 7 Look-Like Paint in Windows XP and Vista
- How to Choose Desired Windows 7 Edition / Version During Setup?
- How to Restore “Show Desktop” Shortcut Icon in Quick Launch Toolbar?
- Panda Cloud Free Antivirus 2.0 Released, Download Link Inside
- Default Programs Editor: Yet Another Free Alternative to Windows Default File Type Option
- How to Restore “Close Multiple Tabs” Warning Message (Confirmation Prompt) in Internet Explorer?