How to Enable New Tab Feature in Older Yahoo! Messenger Versions?
Recently we blogged about new Yahoo! Messenger version which comes with tabs support but did you know the same feature exists since long time in Yahoo! Messenger?
Yes, that's true. Yahoo! Messenger has always supported tabs in IM windows but the feature was not enabled by default and Yahoo! team never announced it officially. The reason is unknown.
Anyway following tutorial was posted long time back for older Yahoo! Messenger versions and we are updating it for people who don't want to use new Yahoo! Messenger version but want to get the new tab feature in older versions.
NOTE: We have updated this tutorial with detailed information and new screenshots.
Recently we blogged about secret Multi-Login feature in Yahoo! messenger which allows you to run multiple instances of Yahoo! messenger and login using multiple Yahoo! accounts in a single system.
Now its time for another hidden secret feature in Yahoo! messenger which allows you to use Tabs in Yahoo! conversation / Chat windows just like a tab in web browsers. You can chat with several friends in a single window using tabs.
As you can see in the above screenshot, a single Yahoo! chat window is running with 5 tabs opened. You can click on a tab and starting chatting with that friend.
So without wasting any more time, lets start our simple and easy tutorial:
1. Type regedit in RUN or start menu search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. In right-side pane, create new DWORD Tabbed IM and set its value to 1 as shown in following screenshot:
4. That's it. Close Registry Editor and start Yahoo! Messenger. Now you can chat with all friends in a single chat window.
5. If you want to remove the tab feature, just delete the DWORD Tabbed IM or set its value to 0
PS: If you don't want to do the task manually and want a ready-made registry script to do the task automatically, just download following ZIP file, extract it and run the extracted REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it:
NOTE: This method was only tested with Yahoo! Messenger 8.1 version but it should work with other versions as well.
Posted in: Emails & Messengers
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Fix] “Windows cannot Change the Password” Error Message in User Accounts in Control Panel
- How to Add Aero ON / OFF Shortcuts in Desktop and My Computer Context Menu in Windows Vista and Later
- How to Disable Hot Corners (Charms Bar and App Switch List) in Windows 8.1?
- [FIX] Access Denied! Website Blocked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus due to Dangerous Content
- Windows Show Desktop Link: Get the Good Old “Show Desktop” Icon Back in Windows 7
- How to Restrict Users from Changing Settings in Internet Explorer Options Window?