How to Enable / Disable New Welcome Screen, Log Off and Shut Down Dialog Box in Windows XP?
If you are a Windows XP user, you can see the new XP welcome screen at Windows startup. Also when you click on "Log Off" or "Shutdown" options in Start Menu, it shows new XP Style dialog boxes as shown in following screenshots:
New XP Style Log Off Dialog Box:
New XP Style Shutdown Dialog Box:
There are also Classic dialog boxes available in Windows XP. If you don't want the new XP Style dialog boxes, you can enable the old Classic dialog boxes as shown in following screenshots:
Classic Log Off Dialog Box:
Classic Shutdown Dialog Box:
Following tutorial will help you in enabling/disabling the new XP Style dialog boxes and Welcome Screen:
1. Open User Accounts applet in Control Panel.
2. Click on "Change the way users log on or off" link as shown in following screenshot:
3. It'll show a new page containing 2 options:
- Use the Welcome screen
- Use Fast User Switching
Now if you want to disable new Welcome screen and XP style dialog boxes, then disable both options. Or if you want to enable welcome screen and new XP style dialog boxes, then enable both options.
NOTE 1: If you get following error while enabling "Use the Welcome screen" option:
Uninstall client services for netware.
Open "Network Connections" and open Properties of your Internet Connection. Now go to "Networking" tab and select "Client services on Netware" option and click on the"Uninstall" button.
NOTE 2: You might also get following error message while enabling "Use Fast User Switching" option:
Fast User Switching cannot be used because Offline Files is currently enabled. To make changes to Offline Files, click OK.
If you get this error message, click on OK button and it'll show a new dialog box. Now disable "Enable offline files" option in this dialog box and click on OK button. Now you'll be able to enable "Use Fast User Switching" option.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- List of Useful Keyboard Shortcuts for Command Prompt in Windows
- How to Re-Download Windows 8 Setup Without Purchasing it Again Using Upgrade Assistant?
- How to Get Separate “Stop” and “Reload” Buttons in Mozilla Firefox?
- Has Microsoft Removed Show Desktop Shortcut in Windows 7 and Later?
- Fix “The Products We Found in Your Account Can’t be Used to Activate” Error Message in Microsoft Office 2013 Applications
- Mosaic: Get Windows 8 Style Live Tiles with Metro UI on Windows XP, Vista and 7 Desktop