How to Enable Built-in Facebook Messenger and Social API in Mozilla Firefox?
UPDATE: New about:config method added which allows you enable the new social API. Scroll down to read the new method.
If you are a Mozilla Firefox user and also love spending your time on Facebook, here is an excellent news for you. Yesterday we told you that the latest Firefox version comes with a new feature called "Social API" which will help you in accessing social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, etc right from your favorite web browser Mozilla Firefox without opening the social networking websites in the browser. This new feature will add social network buttons and sidebars in Firefox window so that you can chat with your friends, check messages, notifications, etc quickly and easily.
Currently the feature is new and only Facebook integration has been implemented in the latest Firefox version but in future more social networks will be added.
If you are not a social network fan, don't worry. This feature it not enabled by default. It gets automatically enabled if you access these social networking websites frequently.
If you don't want to wait and want to turn the feature on immediately, you can do it using following simple steps:
1. First go to following official Facebook URL to turn "Facebook Messenger" on in Firefox:
Just click on "Turn On" button in the above link and it'll immediately enable the Facebook API in Firefox.
2. As soon as you turn the Facebook messenger on, it'll add Facebook buttons in Firefox toolbar and Facebook chat sidebar in right-side of Firefox window as shown in following screenshot:
3. The Facebook buttons in Firefox toolbar will help you in checking your notifications, messages, etc without going to actual Facebook website.
Facebook chat sidebar will allow you chat with your friends just like you do in original Facebook website.
4. You can disable the Facebook chat sidebar by clicking on Facebook button present in Firefox toolbar and unchecking "Show sidebar" option.
If you don't like the Facebook messenger and want to disable it, you can click on "Remove from Firefox" option using Facebook button in toolbar.
UPDATE: You can also use a built-in tweak to enable and activate the whole social API in Firefox. Just follow these simple steps:
1. Open Firefox and type about:config in the addressbar and press Enter. It'll confirm, click on I'll be careful, I promise! button.
2. Now type social in the Filter box and look for following boolean keys:
3. Both keys would be set to false. Double-click or right-click on the keys and select "Toggle". It'll set their values to true.
That's it. It'll enable the new social API in Firefox. Thanks to our reader "ankur" for this tip...
So do you like this new feature of Firefox? Feel free to share your comment...
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Remove “Security” Tab from Files and Folders Properties Windows?
- WinBubble: Freeware to Customize and Tweak Windows Vista and Windows 7
- How to Remove Unwanted Program Shortcuts from Windows Vista Welcome Center?
- [Did You Know] Ultimate List of Windows Live Mail Bugs and Goof-ups
- Add “Win+X” Cascading Menu in Windows 7 and Later Desktop Context Menu
- How to Always Show “More Details” in File Transfer (Cut, Copy, Delete) Dialog Box in Windows Vista and 7