[Tip] Disallow Secret “Customer Experience Improvement Program” (CEIP) from Collecting Information in Windows
Did you know Windows operating system contains a hidden secret "Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP)" which collects information about your computer hardware and how you use Windows OS and sends the usage data to Microsoft without interrupting you?
The program also periodically downloads a file to collect information about problems you might have with Windows. In this way, the program helps Microsoft improve Windows.
You would be surprised when you'll know that this program even counts how many times you have clicked on start menu, how many programs you have pinned to Taskbar, etc.
Actually when you install Windows, it asks you to participate in Customer Experience Improvement Program.
If you allowed this program to collect information or don't know whether the program is collecting information or not, here are ways to disallow it from collecting information:
METHOD 1: Disable CEIP Using Settings
1. Open Control Panel, click on "Action Center" icon and then click on "Change Action Center Settings" link.
Open Start and type Customer Experience Improvement Program in search box.
Open Control Panel and type Customer Experience Improvement Program in search box.
It'll show the option in search results. Click on it to launch CEIP Settings.
2. Now select "No, I don't want to participate in the program" option and click on "Save Changes" button.
That's it. It'll stop collecting your information.
METHOD 2: Disable CEIP Using Task Scheduler
You can also disable CEIP by deleting or disabling its routine task using Task Scheduler program. Follow these simple steps:
1. Press Win+R keys together to launch RUN dialog box, then type taskschd.msc in RUN box and press Enter.
2. It'll open Task Scheduler program. Now go to following folders one by one:
Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Application Experience
Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Customer Experience Improvement Program
Both these folders contain various tasks related to CEIP which automatically run at certain intervals and allow CEIP to collect and send your usage data to Microsoft.
3. You just need to disable these tasks. Right-click on each task present in right-side pane of these folders and select Disable option. You can also select all tasks at once and then right-click and click on Disable option.
That's it. Now CEIP will no longer collect and send your usage data to Microsoft.
PS: You can allow this program to collect information if you want to help Microsoft in improving Windows OS.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Windows 7 Theme for Sony Ericsson Mobile Phone
- Transform Windows XP into Windows 8 RTM without using Customization Pack
- Download OSX Yosemite Login Screen for Windows XP and 7
- IconPhile: A Freeware to Change System Icons Easily & Quickly
- Download Latest Windows 10 ISO Files for Clean Install or Upgrade
- Download Official Microsoft SkyDrive App for Windows, Mac and Mobile Phones