How to Disable “Libraries” Feature in Windows 7?
Recently we told you how to disable "Homegroup" feature in Windows 7. Today we are going to share a small trick to disable "Libraries" in Windows 7. If you are not aware of "Libraries", Libraries collect folders that are stored in different locations on your hard drive so that you can browse them in one place. Libraries help you in organizing files using metadata about the file for example owner, published date, file type, etc. Libraries icon is always visible in Windows Explorer.
After following this tutorial, "Libraries" feature will be disabled in Windows 7 and its icon will also be removed from Windows Explorer and Start Menu.
You just need to run a small Registry script to disable it. Don't worry! Its just a Registry script which will modify some key values in Windows registry to disable libraries functionality. You can use it safely without worries.
Type regedit in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor. Now go to following keys one by one:
Take ownership of both keys using this guide and close Registry Editor.
Download following ZIP file, extract it and run the "Disable Libraries in Windows 7.REG" file:
After running the .REG file, log off or restart your system and you'll no longer see Libraries icon in Windows Explorer:
If you don't want to disable complete "Libraries" feature but only want to remove its icon from Explorer, then run "Only Remove Libraries Icon from Windows 7 Explorer.reg" file.
PS: There is also a restore script available in the above ZIP file, in case you want to restore Libraries.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Fix] Windows 8 Not Available for Download or Purchase in Your Country or Region
- [FIX] Screen Won’t Dim When You Press Win+PrtScn keys to Save Screenshots in Windows 8 or Later
- How to Disable Mozilla Crash Reporter aka “Breakpad” in Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
- How to Set Your Desired Wallpaper as Folder Background Image in Windows XP
- All About Mozilla Firefox Profile Folder and Configuration Files
- Download Mac OS X Lion Login Screen for Windows XP