How to Disable “Libraries” Feature in Windows 7?
Recently we told you how to disable "Homegroup" feature in Windows 7. Today we are going to share a small trick to disable "Libraries" in Windows 7. If you are not aware of "Libraries", Libraries collect folders that are stored in different locations on your hard drive so that you can browse them in one place. Libraries help you in organizing files using metadata about the file for example owner, published date, file type, etc. Libraries icon is always visible in Windows Explorer.
After following this tutorial, "Libraries" feature will be disabled in Windows 7 and its icon will also be removed from Windows Explorer and Start Menu.
You just need to run a small Registry script to disable it. Don't worry! Its just a Registry script which will modify some key values in Windows registry to disable libraries functionality. You can use it safely without worries.
Type regedit in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor. Now go to following keys one by one:
Take ownership of both keys using this guide and close Registry Editor.
Download following ZIP file, extract it and run the "Disable Libraries in Windows 7.REG" file:
After running the .REG file, log off or restart your system and you'll no longer see Libraries icon in Windows Explorer:
If you don't want to disable complete "Libraries" feature but only want to remove its icon from Explorer, then run "Only Remove Libraries Icon from Windows 7 Explorer.reg" file.
PS: There is also a restore script available in the above ZIP file, in case you want to restore Libraries.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Put Your Favorite Antivirus, Anti-Spyware and Firewall Apps to the Test
- [Did You Know] You Can Pin Websites to Windows 7 Taskbar and Start Menu Using Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) and Later
- What are the Benefits of Windows Live ID Integration in Windows 8?
- How to Enable Good Old Start Button (ORB) and Start Menu in Windows 8?
- How to Hide Menubar, Addressbar, Standard Toolbar and Throbber (Small Flag Icon) in Windows XP Explorer?
- How to Disable Charms Bar Hint in Windows 8?