How to Customize Thumbnail Preview Border for Images and Videos in Windows Explorer?
In Windows Explorer, if you set "Thumbnail" view for a folder containing images or videos, it shows the thumbnails having a nice looking border with shadow effect.
In this tutorial, we'll tell you about a small registry trick which helps you in customizing these thumbnails border. You can remove the drop-shadow effect or add different effects to the thumbnails.
So without wasting time lets start the tutorial:
1. Type regedit in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following keys:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image (to customize border for images)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\video (to customize border for videos)
3. In right-side pane, look for a DWORD value "Treatment". It would be set to 2 for images and 3 for videos by default. Double-click on it and set its value to any of following:
0 - To remove the border (Makes thumbnail preview a little bit faster)
1 - To add drop-shadow effect
2 - To add photo-shadow effect
3 - To add video reel like effect
4. Close Registry Editor and log off and login again. You can also restart Explorer as given here.
5. That's it. Now you can have different thumbnail preview borders in Explorer as shown in following screenshot:
PS. If you want a ready-made registry script to do the task automatically, download following ZIP file, extract it and run the desired REG file:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Windows 7 Allows You to Remove IE, WMP and Many Other Windows Components
- How to Show / Hide / Move Drive Letters in Windows Explorer?
- [Tip] Increase Titlebar Text Font Size in Windows 10
- RK Launcher: One of The Best Free Dock Utility for Windows
- Download Windows Phone 7.5 Mango Cheat Sheets
- TweakIE9: Tweaking Utility for Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 (IE9)