This is the 3rd tutorial of our exclusive "Customizing Windows 7 System Properties" series.
After showing how to change or remove Windows logo from Windows 7 System Properties, now its turn of "Genuine Windows Activation" logo and "Learn more online..." link present at the bottom-right corner of System Properties window as shown in following screenshot:
The Windows activation logo and "Learn more online" link are shown in System Properties when you successfully activate your Windows.
This tutorial will show you how to change or remove the logo and the link in System Properties window. We have tested this method in Windows 7 but it should also work in Windows Vista and Windows 8.
1. First go to "%windir%\System32\" folder and copy systemcpl.dll file to some other location for example Desktop.
Here %windir% represents "Windows" directory which can be found in the system drive where Windows is installed. In most of the cases its C:\Windows.
2. Now open the new file in Resource Hacker and go to following key:
UIFILE -> 1001
3. In right-side pane, delete line number 277 to remove the Windows Activation logo:
<element id="atom(LicenseLogo)" layoutpos="top" contentalign="topcenter" padding="rect(0rp,0rp,0rp,2rp)" background="argb(0,0,0,0)" accessible="true" accrole="graphic" accname="resstr(303)"/>
And delete line number 279 to remove "Learn more online..." link:
<Button id="atom(LearnMoreOnline)" layoutpos="none" active="mouse|keyboard" content="resstr(1528)" accdefaction="resstr(1590)"/>
If your Windows is not activated and you see Get genuine Windows link in System Properties window, you can remove that link by deleting line number 280:
<Button id="atom(GetGenuine)" layoutpos="none" active="mouse|keyboard" content="resstr(1583)" accdefaction="resstr(1591)"/>
4. If you only want to remove Genuine Windows Activation logo, you can alternatively remove it by deleting Bitmap -> 4 key.
And if you want to replace the logo with your own desired image, replace Bitmap -> 4 with your desired 32-bit bitmap image file.
PS: If you don't know how to replace or remove resources in a file, check our exclusive Resource Hacker tutorial to learn more.
5. When you finish editing the code, click on "Compile Script" button and save the file.
6. Now we'll need to replace original systemcpl.dll file present in "C:\Windows\System32\" folder with our new systemcpl.dll file which we saved at Desktop or some other location.
7 a. First take ownership of "C:\Windows\System32\systemcpl.dll" file using following tutorial:
7 b. Now rename it to "systemcpl_backup.dll" or any other name.
7 c. Now copy your new modified "systemcpl.dll" file from Desktop to "System32" folder.
8. That's it. Now check System Properties again and it'll show your desired changes. No need to restart or log off.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Registry Tweak to Decrease Window Border Size and Padding in Windows 8 and Later
- [IE11 Review] List of Features That Have Been Removed or Added in Internet Explorer 11
- How to Get Windows 8 Metro Style Start Menu (Charms Bar) with Clock in Windows 7?
- Get Windows Vista Look-Like MSPaint in Windows XP
- 3 Secret Hidden Tabs “Search, Available Updates, Recent Updates” Found in Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta Add-ons Manager
- Try Again Extension for Mozilla Firefox: Keeps Loading the Page When Server Not Found