How to Add or Remove Items from “New” Context Menu in Windows?
In Windows, whenever we right-click on Desktop or in Windows Explorer, we get "New" menu which allows us to create new folder, new shortcut and new files using various known file types. It helps us in creating new files, folders and shortcuts easily and quickly.
Sometimes you may want to remove a few unwanted items from "New" menu to shrink its size or to restrict others from creating new files or shortcuts or you may want to add a few new items to "New" menu such as new file types, etc.
So today in this tutorial, we'll tell you how to add or remove items from "New" menu in Windows. This method will work in all Windows versions:
A. To Add an Item in "New" menu:
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor. Now expand "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" key.
2. Now look for the file type which you want to add in "New" menu, e.g. for adding MP3 file type look for .MP3 key.
3. Right-click on it and select "New -> Key" and give it name "ShellNew".
4. In right-side pane, right-click and select "New -> String Value". Give it name "NullFile" and press Enter.
5. That's it. You'll immediately get the file type entry in "New" menu.
B. To Remove an Item from "New" menu:
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. Now expand "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" key.
2. Now look for the file type which you want to remove from "New" menu, e.g. for removing MP3 file type look for .MP3 key.
3. Expand it and delete the "ShellNew" key.
4. That's it. The file type will be removed from "New" menu.
Feel free to ask any question or post your feedback in your comment...
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Get Windows 7 Style Classic Explorer Features in “This PC” in Windows 8 and Later
- XBoot: Free Utility to Combine ISO and Create Single Multiboot ISO or Bootable USB
- Right Click Context Menu Adder: Freeware to Add Useful Shortcuts in Windows 7 and Later Desktop Context Menu
- Microsoft Re-brands “Windows Live One Care Safety Scanner” to “Microsoft Safety Scanner”
- Windows Live Hotmail Keyboard Shortcuts List
- Download “AeroVG” Theme for Windows Vista