How to Add or Remove “Power Options” Button from Start Screen in Windows 8.1?
This tutorial will help you in:
- Removing "Power Options" button from Start Screen in Windows 8.1 PCs
- Enabling "Power Options" button on Start Screen in Windows 8.1 touch-enabled devices
With the release of Update 1 for Windows 8.1, Microsoft has added the much awaited Power button on Start Screen. Now users can quickly and easily access power options such as shutdown, restart, hibernate, sleep, etc right from the Start Screen.
The power button is shown on Windows 8.1 devices that are not tablets such as Desktop PCs, laptops, All-in-one PCs, etc. But touch-enabled devices such as tablets, Surface, etc don't show this new Power button because these devices already have a physical power button.
Now there might be people who want to remove this new Power button from Start Screen in their Windows 8.1 PCs or who want to add the new Power button in their Windows 8.1 tablets. That's why today in this topic, we are going to share a small Registry tweak which lets you enable/disable Power button on Windows 8.1 Start Screen.
So if you also want to show or hide Power button on Windows 8.1 Start Screen, just follow these simple steps:
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box or Start Screen search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. Create a new key Launcher under ImmersiveShell key so the final key path would be:
4. Now in right-side pane, create a new DWORD Launcher_ShowPowerButtonOnStartScreen and keep its value as 0
That's it. Log off or restart Windows Explorer as mentioned here and Power button will no longer present on Start Screen.
5. Similarly if you want to show or add Power button on Windows 8.1 touch-enabled devices such as Surface, etc, simply change the value of Launcher_ShowPowerButtonOnStartScreen to 1 and the Power button will get added on Start Screen upon next login.
PS: If you are not familiar with Registry Editor and don't want to modify Registry yourself, you can download following ready-made Registry script to do the whole task manually:
After downloading the above mentioned ZIP file, extract it and run the .REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it and log off or restart Windows Explorer to take effect.
It would have been really great if Microsoft also provided a similar DWORD Launcher_ShowSearchButtonOnStartScreen to add/remove Search button from Start Screen in Windows 8.1, unfortunately it doesn't exist.
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Fix “Cannot Create File” Error Message Problem While Saving Files in Resource Hacker?
- [Guide] What is the Difference between a Theme, Themepack, Skin, Visual Style and msstyles?
- How to Re-Enable Missing Details Pane in Windows Vista and Later Explorer?
- [Fix] “Your Windows 8.1 Install Couldn’t be Completed, Something Happened” Error Message
- Create Direct Shortcut for “Action Center -> Review Problem Reports” in Windows 7 and Later
- Transform Windows 7 into Windows 8 RTM without using Customization Pack