In this tutorial, we'll learn how to add "Network Connections" shortcut in Desktop context menu so that you can access it quickly and easily.
It'll only work in Windows Vista and 7.
Following are the required steps:
1. Type regedit in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell (for Windows 7)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\Shell (for Windows Vista)
3. Now we'll need to create a new key under "Shell" key. Right-click on "Shell" key and select "New -> Key". Give the new key name "Network Connections".
4. Now right-click on the new key which we created in step 3 and select "New -> Key". Give the new key name of command.
5. In right-side pane, change value of "Default" to:
6. That's it. Now you'll have "Network Connections" shortcut in Desktop context menu.
PS: Windows 7 users can also set an icon and position for the shortcut.
To set the icon, select the key created in Step 3 and in right-side pane, create a new String value "Icon". Set its value to ncpa.cpl
To set its position in the context menu, create a new String value "Position" and set its value to:
Top (To show it at top)
Bottom (To show it at bottom)
PS. If you want a ready-made registry script to do the task automatically, download following ZIP file, extract it and run the desired REG file:
- How to Add "Network Connections" Shortcut in My Computer Context Menu in Windows?
- How to Add "Network Connections" Folder in My Computer Window?
- How to Pin "Network Connections" Shortcut to Windows 7 Taskbar?
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Nero Lite and Nero Micro: Small and Optimized Installers for Nero Burning ROM
- Pidgin: Multi-Protocol Instant Messaging Client to Use All IM Accounts At Once
- [Tip] How to Disable All WIN+ Keyboard Shortcuts (Hotkeys) in Windows?
- How to Remove Nokia PC Suite, My Sharing Folders, Web Folders or Other Unwanted Items from My Computer Window?
- How to Instant Apply Preferences in Mozilla Firefox Without Closing Options Window?
- How to Reset / Recover / Change Forgotten Administrator Password in Windows?