How to Add “Defragment” Option in Drive Context Menu in Windows
Hard disk fragmentation causes your hard disk do extra work which slows down your computer. Disk Defragmenter tool in Windows rearranges fragmented data so that your hard disk drives can work more efficiently.
You can access it using Drive Properties or All Programs menu. Wouldn't it be great if you can launch it directly by right-click on a drive?
In this tutorial, we'll tell you how to add "Defragment" option in Drive context menu so that you can launch it quickly and easily.
Simply follow these simple steps:
1. Type regedit in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. Under "shell" key, create a new key Defragment
4. If you want to show an icon for context menu option, select "Defragment" key and in right-side pane, create a new String icon and set its value to defrag.exe
PS: You can also change its position in context menu using position String. Check this topic for more information.
5. Now create another new key under Defragment key and give it name command
6. Select command key and in right-side pane, change value of default to any of following:
defrag.exe /u /v %1 (for classic command line screen)
dfrgui.exe (for new graphical interface)
That's it. Now you can access the option in drive context menu.
PS: If you want a ready-made registry script to do the task automatically, simply download following ZIP file, extract it and run the extracted REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Mozilla Firefox Bookmarks Toolbar Tweaks: Auto-Hide and Multi-Row Toolbar
- Download Bitdefender Total Security 2013 Free Public Beta
- How to Enable Aero Glass Transparency with Blur in Windows 10?
- Hidden Secret Features and Useful Hotkeys in Windows 8 and Later
- Vize (XPize for Vista): GUI Enhancer for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008
- Reason Behind Less Activities