Hidden Secret Trick to Exit Explorer Using Shut Down Dialog Box in Windows
UPDATE: This hidden secret method can also be used in all Windows versions. You just need to open classic shutdown dialog box. Click on Desktop or Taskbar and press Alt+F4 keys together. It'll show classic shutdown dialog box. Now press Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys together and click on Cancel button as mentioned in step 1. Thanks to our reader "looeee" for this tip...
Many times we install a software, shell extension which requires a restart. Sometimes logging off or end task of Explorer does the job and we don't need to restart the whole system. We usually End task of Explorer using Task Manager but Windows XP provides a lot easier way to Exit Explorer which is better than using Task Manager to forcefully End task of Explorer.
Its a hidden option in Windows XP. Do as following to close Explorer cleanly and safely:
1. Click on Start Menu and then click on Shutdown button. It'll show shutdown dialog box as following:
Now press "Ctrl", "Alt" and "Shift" keys and click on "Cancel" button. It'll close the Explorer.
2. To get the Explorer back, press "Ctrl+Shift+Esc" keys and it'll open Task Manager. Now click on "File -> New Task (Run...)" option.
3. Type explorer in the text box and click on OK button:
4. That's it. Windows Explorer will be back.
This method is much safe and has been recommended by Microsoft itself.
- How to Enable Secret HIBERNATE Button in Shut Down Dialog Box in Windows XP?
- Hidden Trick to Exit Explorer Using Start Menu in Windows Vista and 7
- Hidden Secret "Exit Explorer" Option in Windows 8 and 8.1 Taskbar
- Hidden Secret "Exit Explorer" Option in Windows 10 Start Menu and Taskbar
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Disable “Speed up Browsing by Disabling Add-ons” Popup Notification Message in Internet Explorer?
- Best Free Alternatives to Windows Media Center
- How to Disable or Change Background Image of Windows 10 Login Screen
- Add Control Panel, Task Manager, Windows Update and Other Useful Shortcuts with Icons in My Computer Context Menu
- [Tip] Get Colored Titlebar Back in Mozilla Firefox in Windows 10
- How to Enable and Use Google Multiple Sign-in Feature?