"Show Desktop" is a shortcut which is present in Quick Launch toolbar in Windows taskbar. Once you click on its icon, it minimizes all running programs to taskbar so that you can view the Desktop.
Since Microsoft integrated the Quick Launch toolbar in taskbar in Windows 7, you'll no longer see the old "Show Desktop" icon. But that doesn't mean it has been removed in Windows 7.
Actually the location and look of "Show Desktop" has changed in Windows 7. Now its located at the end of taskbar in form of a small rectangle.
It does 2 jobs now:
1. When you move your mouse cursor over it, it hides all running programs windows and shows only windows outlines so that you can peek behind all open windows . Its called "Aero Peek" feature.
2. When you click on it, it does the same job as the old shortcut used to do. It minimizes all open windows and restores them if you click again.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Solution] Windows Vista Data Execution Prevention (DEP) Crashing Mozilla Firefox
- Enable Hidden Secret “Debug” Menu in Microsoft “Purble Place” Game in Windows Vista and 7
- How to Change Icons and Text Labels (Names) of Start Screen Tiles in Windows 8 and 8.1?
- How to Change “Get More Gadgets Online” Link in Windows Vista and 7 Sidebar Gadget Gallery Window?
- How to Add Missing “Search” Option in Folder Context Menu in Windows Vista After Installing SP1?
- [Did You Know] Ultimate List of Windows 7 Bugs and Goof-ups