Has Microsoft Removed Show Desktop Shortcut in Windows 7 and Later?
"Show Desktop" is a shortcut which is present in Quick Launch toolbar in Windows taskbar. Once you click on its icon, it minimizes all running programs to taskbar so that you can view the Desktop.
Since Microsoft integrated the Quick Launch toolbar in taskbar in Windows 7, you'll no longer see the old "Show Desktop" icon. But that doesn't mean it has been removed in Windows 7.
Actually the location and look of "Show Desktop" has changed in Windows 7. Now its located at the end of taskbar in form of a small rectangle.
It does 2 jobs now:
1. When you move your mouse cursor over it, it hides all running programs windows and shows only windows outlines so that you can peek behind all open windows . Its called "Aero Peek" feature.
2. When you click on it, it does the same job as the old shortcut used to do. It minimizes all open windows and restores them if you click again.
Posted in: Windows 7
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Opera Tips] Disable Bookmarks Trash Folder, Sidebar Extensions and Chronological Tab Switching Feature
- [Guide] Reinstall or Repair Windows 8 and Later Using “Reset PC” and “Refresh PC” Options
- [Tip] How to Show File Extensions of Shortcuts (LNK, URL, PIF) in Windows Explorer?
- How to Disable “Libraries” Feature in Windows 7?
- How to Enable Hidden Secret “Add-ins” Tab in Windows Live Messenger Options Dialog Box?
- How to Quickly Clear or Disable “Recently Opened Programs” List in Start Menu in Windows Vista and 7?