"Show Desktop" is a shortcut which is present in Quick Launch toolbar in Windows taskbar. Once you click on its icon, it minimizes all running programs to taskbar so that you can view the Desktop.
Since Microsoft integrated the Quick Launch toolbar in taskbar in Windows 7, you'll no longer see the old "Show Desktop" icon. But that doesn't mean it has been removed in Windows 7.
Actually the location and look of "Show Desktop" has changed in Windows 7. Now its located at the end of taskbar in form of a small rectangle.
It does 2 jobs now:
1. When you move your mouse cursor over it, it hides all running programs windows and shows only windows outlines so that you can peek behind all open windows . Its called "Aero Peek" feature.
2. When you click on it, it does the same job as the old shortcut used to do. It minimizes all open windows and restores them if you click again.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Microsoft Talks About Windows Explorer Improvements in Windows 8, Addition of Ribbon UI and Up Button
- [Fix] Windows 8 Genuine Product Key doesn’t Work for Windows 8.1 Clean Installation
- Download Windows 8.1 RTM Now
- Windows 8 Start Screen Search Page Bug
- How to Move Menubar to Top in Internet Explorer (IE7 and IE8)?
- How to Fix “Windows NT Setup Files Detected” Error Message While Running UXTheme Patcher in Windows XP