If you are a regular reader of this blog, you might be aware of Windows 8.1 which is a free update for Windows 8 operating system. It fixes many annoyances and issues found in Windows 8 and also brings many new and useful features to Windows 8.
Recently Microsoft released final version of Windows 8.1 to public which can be downloaded and installed using following links:
We have posted many tutorials about Windows 8.1 in past which can be read in our exclusive Windows 8 and 8.1 section. These tutorials will help you in learning about new features of Windows 8.1 as well as fixing issues while installing or upgrading to Windows 8.1.
If you have installed Windows 8.1 in your computer system, this article will tell you about a few things which you should do after Windows 8.1 installation. In this topic, we are going to share a few points which you should know and follow after installing Windows 8.1.
So without wasting time lets start the tutorial:
1. Learn New Features of Windows 8.1
Windows 8.1 comes with many new features which were not available in Windows 8 such as ability to direct boot into Desktop, disable hot corners (Charms Bar), more Start Screen customization options, etc.
You can read all about these new features present in Windows 8.1 using following articles:
2. All Windows 8 Articles, Tips, Tutorials and Software Work in Windows 8.1
Since Windows 8.1 is an update for Windows 8, all Windows 8 articles and software will work fine in Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 is based on Windows 8, you can consider it as a service pack for Windows 8.
If you have not used Windows 8 and want to learn more about Windows 8 features which are also present in Windows 8.1, check out following exclusive review of Windows 8:
Once you read the above mentioned article, you'll have full knowledge of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 features.
Also check out following articles which are also applicable to Windows 8.1:
3. Troubleshoot Issues Present in Windows 8.1
There are a few known issues which many Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 users have faced in past. If you are also facing any problem while using Windows 8.1, check out following articles which will help you in fixing the issues:
- [Fix] Small Download Arrow Icon Showing on Start Screen Tiles in Windows 8.1
- [Fix] Internet Connection Not Working Using Mobile Phones or USB Modems in Windows
- [Fix] Bold, Blurry or Hard to Read Font Problem in Windows 8.1
- [Fix] Can't Type @ and Other Symbols in Windows 8, Incorrect Character Appears on Screen
- [Fix] "SecureBoot isn't Configured Correctly" Watermark Showing on Windows 8.1 Desktop
- [Fix] Mouse Pointer Freezes, Lags or Other Problems While Playing Games in Windows 8.1
- [Fix] Unknown Characters or Vertical Rectangles are Showing in place of Metro Icons in Windows 8 Start Screen and Login Screen
- [Fix] Desktop Tile Missing from Windows 8 Start Screen, Can't Add from All Apps Page
- [Fix] Can't Create Tasks to Display Messages in Windows 8 Task Scheduler
- How to Install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Offline in Windows 8 without Internet Connection?
- How to Restore Accidentally Uninstalled Built-in Apps in Windows 8?
- Fix Windows 8 Restart and Shutdown Problems by Disabling “Hybrid Shutdown” Feature
- How to Access "Advanced Appearance Settings" Option and Change Font Size, Color in Windows 8?
All above mentioned articles will work fine in Windows 8.1.
4. Tweak Windows 8.1 Functionality and User Interface
Many Windows 8.1 users complain about the addition of 6 new folders Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures and Videos in My Computer or This PC window. If you also don't like this new addition, you can remove these folders from This PC window using following article:
The above mentioned tutorial also helps you in changing name of "This PC" back to Computer or any other desired text string.
Also check out following exclusive tutorial to speed up Windows 8.1:
5. Delete Windows.old Folder to Free up Disk Space
If you upgraded Windows 8 or Windows 7 to Windows 8.1, there might be a new folder "Windows.old" present in C: drive containing 5GB+ data. You can remove this folder with the help of following tutorial to reclaim free disk space:
That's all for now. Don't forget to check our exclusive Windows 8 and 8.1 section to read lots of useful articles about Windows 8.1. Also check out our popular articles page to read our best articles about Windows 8.1.
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Get Conditional Forward Button in Mozilla Firefox?
- Do You Want Google+ Invitation to Sign Up? Get It Officially
- [Software Update] Mozilla Firefox 34.0 Now Available for Download
- How to Remove Fake Antivirus Programs from Windows?
- [Fix] Windows Vista Shows BSOD When You Connect iPhone or iPod
- Microsoft Launches Official “Building Windows 8″ Blog, Pre-Release Build to Arrive in Coming Months