If you are using Windows 8 and want to upgrade to Windows 8.1, following instructions will help you:
1. First of all go to Start Screen and click on Store tile to launch Windows Store.
2. Now you should see a big tile containing information about Windows 8.1 update, just click on it.
It'll launch Windows 8.1 download page, click on Download button.
3. It'll take a few minutes in downloading and installing the required files. It might restart your system to finish the installation process.
4. Once the setup process completes, you'll be asked to complete a few steps such as accepting the license terms, customize settings, creating user account, etc.
Finally you'll have the brand new Windows 8.1 in your computer system.
[Problem] You can't find Windows 8.1 update in Windows 8 Store
If you can't find Windows 8.1 update listed in Windows Store, you should wait for a few hours. Since Microsoft released Windows 8.1 just a few hours back, it'll take some time to appear in all regions. So better to wait for a few hours until it appears in your country.
If you can't wait or if the update doesn't appear even after waiting for some hours, check out following steps:
1. An update "KB2871389" is required to update to Windows 8.1, so make sure this update is installed in your Windows 8 system.
To check it, open Windows Update from Control Panel or Start Screen and check for new updates. If the update has not been installed in your system yet, Windows Update will automatically detect and download it.
Alternatively, you can direct download and install the update using following links:
- Download KB2871389 Update for Windows 8 (32-bit)
- Download KB2871389 Update for Windows 8 (64-bit)
- Download KB2871389 Update for Windows Server 2012
Once the update is installed successfully in your system, repeat the above mentioned steps to upgrade to Windows 8.1 through Windows Store. Now it should work without any problem.
NOTE: If after installing the above mentioned update still you can't find "Windows 8.1 update" tile in Windows Store, try to launch the Windows 8.1 update page directly by executing following command from Command Prompt or RUN dialog box:
It'll directly launch Windows 8.1 update page in Windows Store.
PS: Also keep in mind that Windows 8 Enterprise edition, Windows 8 installed using KMS activation and Windows 8 installed using MSDN ISO and activated using product key which allows multiple activation, can't be upgraded to Windows 8.1 using Windows Store.
Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7
If you are using Windows 7, you can upgrade to Windows 8.1 using Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant. The steps for Windows 8.1 upgrade would be same as Windows 8 upgrade, so you can check out following tutorial to learn how to use Upgrade Assistant to upgrade to Windows 8.1:
If you are using Windows XP or Windows Vista, you'll need to perform a clean installation of Windows 8.1. You can't upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows XP or Windows Vista.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Restrict Users from Changing Start Screen Background and Color in Windows 8 and 8.1?
- [Tip] Get Windows XP Style Classic “Alt+Tab” Switcher Screen in Windows Vista and Later
- How to Change or Reset Product Key of Microsoft Office?
- Power Scheduler: Freeware to Schedule Shutdown, Restart, Hibernate and Lock Operations in Windows
- How to Create a Fully Automatic Internet Connection in Windows?
- X-Ray: Freeware to Automatically Submit Suspicious Files to Antivirus Companies for Free Scan