[Guide] How to Free Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or 8.1
Finally Windows 10 has been released to public and available for download or upgrade.
As we have mentioned many times in past that Windows 7 and 8.1 users who are using genuine and activated Windows versions, can upgrade to Windows 10 for free but within 1 year of launch. So you'll be able to upgrade your existing Windows 7 or 8.1 computers to Windows 10 for free starting today and before July 28, 2016.
Once you upgrade your computer to Windows 10, you'll be able to use Windows 10 on your computer for lifetime. You'll have fully functional genuine copy of Windows 10 in your computer for free.
Now the question comes, how to upgrade Windows 7 and 8.1 to Windows 10? There are 2 methods to get free upgrade to Windows 10:
- METHOD 1: Using "Get Windows 10" App
- METHOD 2: Using Windows 10 Media Creation Tool
So without wasting time lets share the details of these methods:
METHOD 1: Using "Get Windows 10" App
A few days back, Microsoft released an app called "Get Windows 10" or GWX for Windows 7 and 8.1 OS via Windows Updates. This app was released to check the computer hardware, software programs and Windows activation status to find out whether the computer is eligible to get free Windows 10 upgrade or not.
If the computer qualifies for Windows 10 upgrade, the app starts showing its white Windows flag icon in Taskbar notification area. When users click on the icon, the app allows users to reserve their free upgrade copy of Windows 10.
Some users were unable to see the icon, to help them we posted following guide to get the icon in Taskbar:
Now since Windows 10 has been released to public, this app will automatically start downloading Windows 10 setup files on Windows 7/8.1 computers which have been reserved for the free upgrade. Once the download completes, you'll see another icon in Taskbar system tray which will allow you to install Windows 10 immediately or schedule the installation at later time.
That's it. If you see the icon in system tray, you have to do nothing. It'll automatically download Windows 10 on your system soon.
Also check out following article to learn more about "Get Windows 10" app and its functionality:
METHOD 2: Using Windows 10 Media Creation Tool
If you are unable to see "Get Windows 10" app icon in Taskbar notification area, you'll also be unable to upgrade to Windows 10. In such conditions, you can use this 2nd method.
Microsoft has released an official utility "Windows 10 Media Creation Tool" to download Windows 10 setup ISO files. After downloading, you can either upgrade your existing Windows to Windows 10 or create bootable USB drive or DVD of Windows 10 setup to install it later.
After downloading the tool, run it and you'll get following 2 options:
- Upgrade this PC now
- Create installation media for another PC
Since we want to upgrade our existing Windows 7 or 8.1 OS to Windows 10, select the first option "Upgrade this PC now".
The tool will start downloading Windows 10 setup files and will help you in upgrading to Windows 10.
That's it. By following any of these 2 methods, you can enjoy genuine Windows 10 in your computer for free...
- [Tip] Get Direct Download Links of Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft
- [Fix] "Something Happened" Error Message in Windows 10 Upgrade
- How to Perform Clean Installation of Windows 10 with Activation?
- How to Restore Previous Windows Version After Upgrading to Windows 10?
- [Tip] Dual Boot Between Windows 10 and Your Existing Windows 7/8.1 OS
- [Guide] Things To Do After Installing Windows 10
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download “Bing Desktop” Tool to Automatically Set Bing Homepage Background Image as Windows Desktop Wallpaper
- Enable Hidden Secret “Debug” Menu in Microsoft “Spider Solitaire” Game in Windows Vista and 7
- [Fix] Apps and Programs Automatically Minimize in Windows 10
- Download Windows 8 “Aero Lite” Border Skin, ViStart Skin and Common Tasks for Windows XP
- [Tip] Activate Hidden Secret “Retail Demo Mode” in Windows 10
- How to Fix Annoying Cursor Jumping Problem While Typing Documents in Laptops?