Get Windows 8 Look-Like Metro Task Manager in Windows XP, Vista and 7
If you are using the new Windows 8 OS or following this blog regularly, you might be knowing about the new modern and advanced Task Manager introduced in Windows 8 by Microsoft.
This new Metro Task Manager opens in a small window and shows the running programs list. It provides 2 buttons "More details" and "End Task". You can select a program from the list and click on End Task button to close the program. "More details" button opens a different Task Manager window which provides access to various other things such as services, users, etc similar to classic Task Manager which is found in earlier Windows versions.
If you are using Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 and want to have a similar Task Manager in your Windows, here is something interesting for you.
Our reader "Masroor Aijaz aka JX Geat" has developed a Windows 8 look-like metro Task Manager utility for Windows XP, Vista and 7. Its a very small utility in size and is portable so you don't need to install it.
Following is a preview of this utility in action:
As you can see it looks very close to Windows 8 Task Manager. You can end task of running programs and when you click on "More details" button, it launches default Task Manager present in Windows.
It also provides "Restart Explorer" button to restart Windows Explorer similar to Windows 8. You can also use "Ctrl+P" keyboard shortcut to restart Explorer. Make sure the Task Manager window is active while using this hotkey.
If you close Metro Task Manager window, it sits quietly in system tray and you can again access it by double-clicking on its icon. If you want to permanently close it, right-click on its system tray icon and select Exit option.
UPDATE: A new version has been released which comes with some fixes and UI updates.
Changes in new version:
- Fixed a bug which was causing program crash
- Font size decreased in task list pane for better look
- Fixed a bug related to automatic refresh
- Restart Explorer label converted into button
- A few other minor UI updates
You can download the new version using following link:
You'll need to install .NET Framework to use it.
You can pin it to Taskbar, create a shortcut on Desktop, Quick launch toolbar or add it to Desktop context menu for quick and easy access.
Feel free provide your feedback or suggestions in your comment...
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Program and Use Airtel Digital TV (ADTV), Tata Sky DTH and Videocon D2H Universal Remotes with your TV Set?
- Taskbaric: Get Windows 7 Iconized Taskbar Buttons in Windows XP and Vista
- Microsoft Office 2016 RTM Now Available for Download
- Get Google Chrome “New Tab Page” in Mozilla Firefox Using Google Toolbar
- Vistalizator: Change Display Language in All Windows Vista and 7 Editions
- How to Enable / Show Menu Bar Permanently in Microsoft Internet Explorer?