[Fix] “Your Windows 8.1 Install Couldn’t be Completed, Something Happened” Error Message
But sometimes you may face a strange problem. As soon as you click on "Download" button on Windows 8.1 download page, it starts the download process but after a few moments you receive following error message:
Your Windows 8.1 install couldn't be completed
Something happened and the install of Windows 8.1 can't be completed
[Try again] [Cancel]
There is no help or information given to troubleshoot this problem. If you click on try again button, you get the same error message again. Sometimes you may also receive error message with 0x80240031 error code.
I faced this problem in approx. 5 /10 computers in which I tried to upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 through Store.
After some troubleshooting, I was able to find the culprit. The reason behind this problem was very simple. None of those computers were having all Windows updates installed. There were a few updates pending for download/install in those Windows 8 computers which was causing this error message.
So if you are also facing this problem, the solution is:
Open Windows Update and check for new updates. Make sure all available updates have been installed in your computer. Also check the hidden updates by clicking on "Restore hidden updates" link given in left sidebar. If you find any hidden update, install it immediately.
It seems there are some important updates which are required by Windows 8.1 downloader and if it finds those updates missing in a computer, it shows the error message.
If you want, you can leave optional updates such as Bing Desktop, Silverlight, etc unchecked but make sure to install all important and critical updates.
That's it. Once you install all Windows updates, restart your computer and now you should be able to download and install Windows 8.1 through Windows Store without any problem.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- RecycleBinEx: Freeware to Extend and Enhance the Functionality of Recycle Bin in Windows
- Download Norton Antivirus 2013, Norton Internet Security 2013 and Norton 360 2013 Free Public Beta Versions
- TBarIconBlanker: Remove Program Icons from Windows Titlebar and Taskbar Buttons
- [Did You Know] Hidden Secret “Network Monitor” Mode in Nokia Mobile Phones
- WinThunder: Get Quick Access to Weather, Favorite Shortcuts, Files, Folders, Apps in Windows 7 System Tray
- Add Customized Strings (OEM Information) in System Properties Dialog Box of Windows Vista and Later