Recently an AskVG reader "Putra Sattvika" contacted me and asked for a solution to fix a strange problem in Windows 8. Whenever he tried to download an app using Windows 8 Store, he got following error message:
Your purchase couldn't be completed
Something happened and your purchase can't be completed.
He was using a working Microsoft Live account ID to sign into Windows Store and the account was active and in good condition since long time. I suggested him to sign in using a different Microsoft account in Windows Store but it didn't help him. Finally he was able to fix the problem himself and was kind enough to share the solution with me.
So if you are also facing this problem in Windows 8 Store and want to fix the problem, this article will definitely help you.
Whenever you try to purchase or download any app from Windows 8 Store, you get "Your purchase couldn't be completed" error message. No extra help or links are given to fix the problem. You just get an error message with 2 buttons "Try again" and "Cancel" as shown in following screenshot:
The reason behind this problem is a built-in service which is called "Windows Update". If this service is not running in background and if the service is set to disabled in Windows 8, you'll always get this strange error message while downloading any app from Windows 8 Store.
Solution is very simple. You just need to re-enable "Windows Update" service and your problem will be fixed. Simply follow these simple steps to fix the problem:
1. Press Win+R keys together to launch RUN dialog box. Type services.msc in the textbox and press Enter. It'll open Services Manager.
2. Scroll down to bottom and you'll see a service "Windows Update" in the list. Double-click on it and set its Startup type to Automatic.
PS: Also make sure that "Windows Firewall" service is also set to Automatic. Thanks to our reader OKI for this tip.
3. That's it. Close services manager window and now you'll not face any problem while downloading any app from Windows 8 Store.
I don't see any reason behind disabling "Windows Update" service in Windows 8 as its an important service which helps in protecting your Windows by installing latest security and other updates released by Microsoft. If someone is using a pirated Windows 8 OS, there are chances that the user disabled the service to prevent Windows from installing updates which automatically detects pirated Windows in computers. It might also possible that some users disable the service accidentally which is rare though...
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download VistaVG Icon Pack to Get Windows Vista Icons in Windows XP
- Get Windows 8 Look-Like Metro Task Manager in Windows XP, Vista and 7
- How to Disable Toolbar Auto-Hide Feature in Full Screen Mode of Mozilla Firefox
- [Software Update] Yahoo! Messenger 11.5 Now Available for Download
- SystemTray Recycler: Put Recycle Bin in Windows System Tray aka Taskbar Notification Area
- RegFileMerger: Merge Multiple Registry Files into a Single One