[FIX] Windows Vista or Server 2008 Computer Hangs and Stops Responding While Applying User Settings at Login Screen
Many Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 users have faced an annoying problem when their computers hang and stop responding at the stage of "Applying User Settings" of login screen.
The situation gets worse when they find that the "Network Connections" folder in Control Panel is empty.
Also following services are not started at startup by Windows even though these services are set to Automatic startup type:
- Print Spooler
- Terminal Services
- Server service
- Remote Registry
- Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
- Distributed Transaction Coordinator
- Any services that are related to applications
According to Microsoft, this issue typically occurs after you install a server certificate and then configure Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) on the computer. For example, you install a SSL server certificate in Internet Information Services (IIS) 7.0 and then enable HTTPS on your website to use the certificate.
The Service Control Manager tries to start the HTTP.sys service and then puts a lock in place in the Service Control Manager database. Then, HTTP.sys makes a call that requires Cryptographic Services during startup. Then, a request is sent to start Cryptographic Services. However, a lock is already in place in the Service Control Manager database. Therefore, a deadlock occurs.
HOW TO FIX?
To fix the issue, we'll need to modify behavior of HTTP.sys so that it can depend on crytosvc service to be started first.
Simply follow these simple steps to fix the issue:
1. Type regedit in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. In right-side pane, create a new Multi-String value DependOnService and set its value to CRYPTSVC
4. Close Registry Editor and restart your system. It'll fix the problem.
PS: You can also download following ready-made Fixit to fix the issue automatically:
Microsoft has also released a hotfix to fix this annoying problem which can be downloaded using following link:
Thanks to our friend "Rob Margel" for sharing it...
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Disable Automatic Image Resizing in Mozilla Firefox?
- [Tip] Install Apps Offline (Sideload) in Google Android Devices Without Internet Connection and Play Store
- Explorer7Fixes: Enable Sort Header (Column Header) in All File View Modes in Windows 7 Explorer
- [Fix] “The AC Power Adapter Type is Incorrect or Cannot be Determined” Warning Message at Startup in Laptops
- How to Show More Websites On Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) New Tab (about:tabs) Page?
- [Fix] Duplicate IMAP Folders (Sent, Junk and Deleted Items) Created in Windows Live Mail