If you have installed recently released Wave 4 version of Windows Live Messenger, you might be facing this strange problem.
1. If you try to open Hotmail website in Internet Explorer web browser, Windows Live Messenger automatically starts.
2. This problem occurs in Internet Explorer only. If you use any other web browser, you'll not face this problem.
This problem occurs due to improved integration of WLM with Hotmail and IE. When you install new Wave 4, it automatically installs 2 add-ons in IE which cause this annoying problem.
You'll need to disable the newly installed add-ons in IE to fix this problem. Simply follow these steps:
1. Open Internet Explorer and click on "Tools -> Manage add-ons".
2. Now select following add-ons from the list and click on "Disable" button:
- Windows Live
- Windows Live Sign-in Helper
3. Close the Add-ons window and now WLM will no longer start when you open Hotmail in IE.