[FIX] Welcome Screen (or Login Screen) is Displayed for 30 Seconds If a Solid Color is Set as Desktop Background in Windows 7
Some Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 users might face a weird bug which has been confirmed by Microsoft and would be fixed in upcoming SP1.
The bug appears when you set a Solid Color as Desktop background.
- Right-click on desktop and select Personalize option.
- Click on Desktop Background at the bottom of the window.
- Select Solid Colors option in Picture location list.
- Now select any solid color and click on Save changes button.
Now if you try to log on to your computer, Welcome screen would be displayed for 30 seconds before showing your Desktop.
To fix this problem, you can set any image as Desktop background or create a new image in MS Paint or any other image editing software, fill it with your desired solid color and set it as Desktop background.
There is also a registry method available to fix this issue which requires following steps to follow:
1. Type regedit in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to:
3. In right-side pane, create a new DWORD value DelayedDesktopSwitchTimeout and set its value to 5
4. That's it. Log off or restart your system and your problem should be solved.
NOTE. If you want a ready-made registry script to do the task automatically, download following ZIP file, extract it and run the extracted REG file:
PS: You can also request Microsoft for a hotfix to fix this problem.
BONUS TIP: This bug was also present in Windows Vista and Server 2008, so if you are facing such problem in Windows Vista or Server 2008, you can follow the same steps mentioned in this tutorial.
Thanks to our active reader "James" for this info...
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Guide] How to Create Portable Version of Windows 8 on USB Drive Using “Windows To Go” Feature?
- CoolNovo (Formerly ChromePlus): New Advanced Web Browser Similar to Google Chrome
- [Fix] Charms Bar Randomly Appears on Windows 8/8.1 Devices
- [Tip] How to Install and Run Native Bash Shell on Ubuntu on Windows 10
- [FIX] Cannot Install New Fonts in Windows, “Install New Fonts” Command Missing from File Menu
- Coolbarz: Freeware to Get Good Old Desktop Toolbar (Deskbar) Feature Back in Windows 7