[Fix] This Upgrade Path is not Supported. Close Setup and Re-Launch from Root of Media or Pick Different Installation Choice
Yesterday I was trying to upgrade one of my computers operating system from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I knew that the upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 is possible but when I tried to upgrade the computer, the Windows setup wizard showed following error message:
Compatibility report (saved to your desktop)
This upgrade path is not supported. Please close Setup and re-launch from the root of the media or go back and pick a different installation choice.
The error message was incorrect because upgrading from Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 to Windows 10 is possible. I tried various things to fix the issue such as:
Fix 1: First of all I tried to run the setup.exe file of Windows 10 ISO in compatibility mode as mentioned here. But it didn't work.
Fix 2: I was using Windows 10 English (United States) ISO. I also tried to download its English (United Kingdom) ISO file because my Windows 8.1 ISO file was also English (United Kingdom) one. But it also didn't work. I received same error message.
Fix 3: I also tried to check cversion.ini file present in Sources folder inside Windows Setup ISO as mentioned here but it was already containing a smaller value in MinClient field. So it also didn't help.
After a lot of troubleshooting finally I was able to upgrade my Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 10. I used a simple trick which also worked long time back when I upgraded my Windows 7 computer to Windows 8.
If you are also facing similar problem while upgrading an older version of Windows to Windows 10, this tutorial will definitely help you in solving the issue.
This tutorial will also help you if you are receiving similar error message while upgrading your old Windows to Windows 8 or 8.1.
NOTE: Please follow this guide only if the upgrade path is possible. If your old Windows version is not supported for upgrading to the new Windows version, don't use this method.
Now without wasting time lets start the tutorial:
1. Once you receive the error message, close Setup wizard.
2. Now go to Windows setup folder which you got after extracting or mounting ISO file and open Sources folder.
3. Now scroll down and you'll find a file installprep.exe.
4. Double-click on the file and it'll allow you to upgrade your old Windows version to the new Windows version without any problem.
I was successful in making this not possible upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 possible using this method.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Fix] Windows 8 Genuine Product Key doesn’t Work for Windows 8.1 Clean Installation
- Get Windows 7 Icons in Windows XP Using SevenVG Icon Pack
- Create New Yahoo! E-Mail ID at YMail.com and RocketMail.com Domains for Free
- Host Mechanic: Freeware to Edit, Delete or Restore Hosts File in Windows
- Enable Hidden Secret Polygamy (Multi-Login) Feature of Yahoo! Messenger to Run Multiple Instances at Same Time
- [Tip] Organize Windows 8 Start Screen Tiles in Groups and Name These Groups