[Fix] “The AC Power Adapter Type is Incorrect or Cannot be Determined” Warning Message at Startup in Laptops
This is an annoying error message which I always get at startup whenever I switch on my Dell XPS laptop connected with an old charger (AC power adapter). Actually I had a Dell XPS 1530 laptop in past which is not working at the moment but its charger is absolutely fine. Currently I have Dell XPS 15 laptop which is quite similar to the previous Dell XPS 1530 laptop.
The AC adapter which came bundled with my new laptop is fitted on my computer desk and can't be moved to any other place. That's why whenever I use my laptop in a different place such as outside my room, I connect it with the old AC adapter which came bundled with my previous laptop.
But it causes one slight problem! If I connect the old AC adapter with my new laptop, my system shows following warning message at startup:
WARNING: The AC adapter type is less than 130W or cannot be determined.
This will prevent optimal system performance.
Please check AC adapter connect properly, remove AC adapter and plug-in it again, thanks.
Press <F1> to continue......
Press <F2> to enter SETUP
Press <F12> to enter Boot Menu
The startup process stops at this screen and I always have to press "F1" key to continue the boot process. I know that the AC adapter is fine and can charge the laptop without any problem, so I don't want to see that annoying error message at every startup.
I looked into BIOS settings and found an interesting option "Adapter Warnings" which was set to enabled. I changed its value to disabled and it removed the error message forever.
If you also get this kind of error message each time you switch on your laptop and if you also want to disable the message, following steps will help you:
1. Switch on your laptop and press F2 key to enter into BIOS settings. Please note that different laptops provide different keys to enter into BIOS settings. If F2 key doesn't work for you, try to press Delete key. Most of the times, the correct key name is displayed on the BIOS boot logo.
2. Once you press the correct key, it'll open BIOS settings screen. If you have set a password in past, it'll ask to enter the password. Enter your correct password to access BIOS settings page. If you don't know the password or if you have forgotten the password, you can check our exclusive BIOS password recovery tutorial to reset or remove the password.
3. After entering into BIOS settings page, go to "Advanced" tab and move down to "Adapter Warnings" option. Press Enter key to change its value and select "Disabled" option from the list.
4. That's it. Save the changes and exit from BIOS settings and now you'll never get the annoying warning message about AC power adapter type at startup.
PS: Only use this method if your AC adapter is fine and in working condition. Sometimes this message may appear if your laptop battery or AC power adapter needs to be changed.
Posted in: Troubleshooting
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Enable Hidden Secret “Debug” Menu in Microsoft “FreeCell” Game in Windows Vista and 7
- Windows 8 Will Come with Hyper-V, Microsoft Confirms
- How to Restrict Windows Users from Accessing Shutdown Options at Login Screen?
- Download Windows 10 Official “Hero” Wallpaper and Login Screen Background
- STDU Explorer: Get Windows 8 Style Explorer with Ribbon UI in Windows XP, Vista and 7
- Transform Windows XP into Windows Vista without using Customization Pack