[Fix] Start Menu Recent Items List and RUN MRU List is Always Empty When User Logs On
If you are a Windows user, you might have noticed the "Recent Items" list in Start menu which contains a list of recently opened documents. RUN dialog box also stores a list of recently entered commands list in its history.
Sometimes a strange problem starts happening. Whenever you log off or restart your system, the "Recent Items" list in Start menu as well as RUN dialog box MRU list get deleted. You find them absolutely empty when you log on.
Its a very common problem and it happens mostly when you use a tweaking software which adds an entry in Windows Registry to clear history of recently opened documents on log off.
If you are facing this problem, then follow these simple steps to fix it:
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following keys one by one:
In right-side pane, look for a DWORD value "ClearRecentDocsOnExit". Its value would be set to 1. Either set its value to 0 or completely delete it.
3. That's it. Now restart or log off your system and your problem will be solved.
PS: You can also use this tutorial to intentionally delete recently opened documents list upon log off for security reasons. Simply create the DWORD value "ClearRecentDocsOnExit" in any of the above mentioned registry locations and set its value to 1
UPDATE: If you are facing this problem in Windows 10, check out following article to fix it:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Get “Up” Button and Titlebar Text and Icon Back in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer?
- The Best Method to Remove Ribbon UI from Windows 8/8.1 Explorer
- [Bug Fix] Windows Live Mail 2012 Shows “Please Enter Your PIN to Sign in” in Windows 10
- [Tip] Get Colored Titlebar Back in Mozilla Firefox in Windows 10
- Freeware to Show Christmas Tree on Your Windows Desktop
- Download Free e-book “Programming Windows Phone 7” from Microsoft