Lots of Windows 8 users have complained about a weird problem. Suddenly Internet Explorer metro tile disappears from Windows 8 Start Screen. A few other Windows 8 users have complained that when they try to launch Metro IE by clicking on its tile in Start Screen, it doesn't open, actually nothing happens.
Both of these problems occur when you install another web browser such as Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, etc in Windows 8 and you set the new browser as default or it automatically sets itself as default web browser in Windows 8. As soon as a new browser is set as default, Windows 8 replaces Internet Explorer metro tile with the Desktop version of IE and IE metro tile disappears from Start Screen.
To fix this problem, simply set Internet Explorer as the default web browser again using following steps:
1. First if you are at Start Screen, go to Windows Desktop by clicking on Desktop tile or pressing WIN key.
2. Now launch Internet Explorer and select Tools -> Internet Options. Go to "Programs" tab and click on "Set associations" button.
3. Now check "Select all" option and click on Save button. At last click on OK button and it'll fix the problem.
If the above mentioned method doesn't work for you, set IE as default web browser using Control Panel -> Default Programs -> Set program access and computer defaults.
So you have to simply set Internet Explorer as default web browser in Windows and the metro tile of Internet Explorer will come back on Start Screen.
PS: Also keep in mind that the Metro version of IE only works when your screen resolution is set to at least 1024x768. So double check your screen resolution if IE doesn't open when you click on its tile in Start Screen.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Fix Start Menu Text or Icon Cut-off Problem in Windows XP 3rd Party Themes?
- [Fix] Windows 8 Genuine Product Key doesn’t Work for Windows 8.1 Clean Installation
- [FIX] WinRAR Causes Wide Context Menu Problem in Windows XP, Vista, Server 2008 and 7
- [IE11 Review] List of Features That Have Been Removed or Added in Internet Explorer 11
- [Fix] Small Download Arrow Icon Showing on Start Screen Tiles in Windows 8.1
- [FIX] Access Denied! Website Blocked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus due to Dangerous Content