[FIX] Internet Explorer Metro Tile Missing from Windows 8 Start Screen or Metro IE Doesn’t Start
Lots of Windows 8 users have complained about a weird problem. Suddenly Internet Explorer metro tile disappears from Windows 8 Start Screen. A few other Windows 8 users have complained that when they try to launch Metro IE by clicking on its tile in Start Screen, it doesn't open, actually nothing happens.
Both of these problems occur when you install another web browser such as Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, etc in Windows 8 and you set the new browser as default or it automatically sets itself as default web browser in Windows 8. As soon as a new browser is set as default, Windows 8 replaces Internet Explorer metro tile with the Desktop version of IE and IE metro tile disappears from Start Screen.
To fix this problem, simply set Internet Explorer as the default web browser again using following steps:
1. First if you are at Start Screen, go to Windows Desktop by clicking on Desktop tile or pressing WIN key.
2. Now launch Internet Explorer and select Tools -> Internet Options. Go to "Programs" tab and click on "Set associations" button.
3. Now check "Select all" option and click on Save button. At last click on OK button and it'll fix the problem.
If the above mentioned method doesn't work for you, set IE as default web browser using Control Panel -> Default Programs -> Set program access and computer defaults.
So you have to simply set Internet Explorer as default web browser in Windows and the metro tile of Internet Explorer will come back on Start Screen.
PS: Also keep in mind that the Metro version of IE only works when your screen resolution is set to at least 1024x768. So double check your screen resolution if IE doesn't open when you click on its tile in Start Screen.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Collection of Some Useful Tricks and Extensions for Mozilla Firefox
- [Windows 10 Tip] Disable “Send Feedback” (Smiley) Button in Internet Explorer Toolbar
- Hidden Secret Trick to Exit Explorer Using Start Menu in Windows Vista and 7
- Create New Yahoo! E-Mail ID at YMail.com and RocketMail.com Domains for Free
- [Fix] “The AC Power Adapter Type is Incorrect or Cannot be Determined” Warning Message at Startup in Laptops
- How to Add “God Mode” Shortcut in Desktop Context Menu in Windows 7 and Later?