[Fix] Internet Connection Not Working Using Mobile Phones or USB Modems in Windows
The solution given in this tutorial will work in all Windows versions!
This problem is faced by many Windows users who try to connect to Internet using their mobile phones or USB devices such as USB Modem, etc. When they install the bundled software and try to connect to Internet using the given dialer program, they get error messages and the error messages do not help in troubleshooting the annoying issue.
Recently an AskVG reader "Windows Fan" contacted us regarding a strange issue which he faced in Windows 8.1. He was using Tata Photon+ wireless broadband data card which allows you to enjoy broadband speed (kind of) using a USB drive. He told us that it was working fine in previous Windows versions including Windows 8 but when he tried to use it in Windows 8.1, he got following error message:
Failed to create a phone-book entry.
The same problem was also faced by another AskVG reader "Anurag". He told us:
I have Dell Vostro laptop and Tata Photon+ data card. I installed Windows 8.1 on the laptop and every other driver got installed without any issue. But the Tata Photon+ data card is not connecting to Internet. Its giving the below error message:
Unable to create a phone-book entry.
Tried a few solutions available online, no dice. Also tried calling Tata Photon helpline, they said they can't help. Tried downloading new drivers available for Windows 8 from their website, still same issue. Tried using different Tata Photon+ card (from a friend), still same issue.
It'll be great if you could help. Thanks for taking the effort to read through.
We have also received a few similar emails from other AskVG readers who faced similar problems while using their mobile phones to connect to Internet in Windows. They were getting "Could not connect to the Internet" or similar error messages and were not able to connect to Internet.
So the question comes, why does it happen? If a mobile phone or USB modem Internet works fine in one Windows version, why does it not work in another Windows version? The reason is different features and functionality of different Windows versions.
When a new version of Windows is released, it comes with new or improved functionality and the same thing happened with Windows 8.1. It seems Microsoft has made some changes to Network and Sharing Center in Windows 8.1 which is causing this issue.
Actually when you try to install drivers and required dialer programs for your mobile phone or USB modems in Windows 8.1 or other Windows versions, the setup fails to create the required Internet connection which is used by its dialer to connect to Internet, that's why you get error messages.
The solution to fix this problem is very easy! You just need to create the Internet connection manually and then you can use this Internet connection to connect to Internet.
So if you are also facing this issue in Windows, check out following simple steps to fix it:
1. Open Network and Sharing Center using Control Panel. You can also open it by right-clicking on Network icon in system tray and click on "Open Network and Sharing Center" option.
2. Now click on "Set up a new connection or network" link.
3. It'll open new connection wizard. Click on "Connect to the Internet" option present at first place in the wizard.
If it shows "You are already connected to the Internet" message, click on "Set up a new connection anyway".
Again if it shows "Do you want to use a connection that you already have?" message, select "No, create a new connection" option and click on Next button.
4. Now click on "Dial-up" option.
5. Here comes the important part! In next screen, you'll need to enter correct dial-up phone number, username and password. These 3 things will differ for different service providers. If you don't know about these things, you can contact the customer care and ask them.
Generally for GSM mobile phones and USB modems, the dial-up phone number is *99# or *99***1#. Leave the username and password fields blank.
For CDMA mobile phones and USB modems (Tata Photon+), the dial-up phone number is #777 and username and password is internet (all in small letters).
If the above settings don't work for you, you'll need to ask your mobile phone customer care for correct settings.
6. That's it. Click on Connect button and you should get connected to Internet without any problem.
You can create a shortcut of this connection on Desktop so that you can access it quickly and easily. To create its shortcut, click on "Change adapter settings" link given in left-sidebar of Network and Sharing Center and there you'll see your new connection icon. Right-click on it and select create shortcut option. It'll create its shortcut on Desktop.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [AskVG Giveaway] 10 Free License Keys of AOMEI Backupper Professional
- Windows Explorer Always Opens in Libraries View in Windows 7, How to Change Target Folder?
- How to Enable / Disable “InContent Preferences” Feature in Mozilla Firefox?
- How to Remove “Burn” Button from Windows Explorer Command Bar in Windows 7?
- How to Remove Cortana Search Box, Task View and Touch Keyboard Buttons from Windows 10 Taskbar?
- [Tip] Hide / Remove Search Box and Up Button from Windows 8 and 8.1 Explorer