[FIX] Error Message “0x80070424” Received in Windows Update or Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)
Many times when Windows users try to run Windows Update or try to access Microsoft update website or try to update Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), they receive weird error messages like "0x80070424". Windows XP users may also find that Automatic Updates feature is disabled in Security Center and they can't enable it.
Actually it happens when a few system services required to run Windows Update are not running or a few system files are not registered properly. Microsoft has acknowledged the issue in a KB article and provided a fix for it.
Microsoft has also shared a few known methods to fix this annoying issue which are mentioned in a simple and easy to understand language as following:
METHOD 1: Enable the required services
1. Type services.msc in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter. It'll open Services Manager.
2. Now make sure following services are set to Automatic and running:
- Automatic Updates OR Windows Update
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service
If any or all above mentioned services are not running or not set to Automatic, double-click on the service, set its Startup type to Automatic from the drop-down list, Apply the changes and click on "Start" button to immediately start it.
3. Restart Windows and it should fix the issue.
METHOD 2: Register the required system files
1. Run following commands in RUN or Start Menu search box one by one:
regsvr32 Qmgr.dll /s
regsvr32 Qmgrprxy.dll /s
2. Restart Windows and it should fix the issue.
METHOD 3: Run Windows Update troubleshooter
1. Provide following command in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter:
2. It'll open Troubleshooting page in Control Panel. Now click on "Fix problems with Windows Update" link.
3. It'll launch Windows Update troubleshooter. Follow the instructions and it'll fix the issue.
METHOD 4: Using Registry Editor
1. Press WIN+R keys to launch RUN dialog box. Type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. In right-side pane, look for a DWORD DisableWindowsUpdateAccess. If you find it, either change its values to 0 or delete the DWORD.
4. Close Registry Editor and restart your computer to take effect.
Thanks to our reader "Vladimir Kandic" for sharing this solution...
METHOD 5: Using automatic reset script
You can also try to reset Windows Update components to fix this problem:
METHOD 6: Using automatic fixit
Microsoft has also released automatic fixit to fix the issue quickly and easily. You can download it using following link:
After downloading, run the msi file and it'll fix the issue automatically.
The above mentioned fixes will definitely help you in fixing error messages and strange problems while accessing Windows Update or updating Microsoft Security Essentials.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Enable / Disable Animations in Copy / Move / Delete Dialog Box in Windows Vista and Later?
- Windows 8.1 Update 1 Available for Download
- Download “AeroVG Se7en” Theme for Windows 7
- RocketDock: Another Free and Lightweight Dock Utility for Windows
- [Tip] How to Install and Run Native Bash Shell on Ubuntu on Windows 10
- How to Enable Missing Hibernate Option in Windows Start Menu?