[Fix] Can’t Install Windows 8.1 or Server 2012 R2 in Oracle Virtual Box
Whenever a testing version of Windows or any other operating system is released, its always advised to install it in a virtualization software such as Oracle VirtualBox or VMware Workstation. It helps in testing new features of the OS without actually installing it on your hard disk. With the help of these virtualization software you install these OS virtually.
After release of Windows 8.1 Preview, we also advised you to install it on a separate partition or in virtualization software:
But there is some problem in installing Windows 8.1 Preview or Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview in Oracle VirtualBox software. When you try to install the Preview OS in VirtualBox, you get an error message "Your PC needs to restart" with the error code "0x000000C4" as shown in following screenshot:
Even if you try to change a few settings here and there, the issue doesn't get fixed. Thanks to "birdie" @ VirtualBox forum for sharing a working solution to solve this problem.
You just need to run a simple command in Command Prompt and the error message will disappear forever.
If you also want to install Windows 8.1 Preview or Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview in Oracle VirtualBox software but getting the above mentioned error message, check out following simple steps to fix the issue:
1. Open Command Prompt by using a way mentioned here.
2. Now copy following command:
"%programfiles%\oracle\virtualbox\vboxmanage.exe" setextradata "Image Name" VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1
Replace "Image Name" text with the correct image name which you provided to the virtual machine name at the time of VM creation. It might be "Windows 8.1" or anything else.
"%programfiles%\oracle\virtualbox\vboxmanage.exe" setextradata "Windows 8.1" VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1
3. Now paste the command in Command Prompt window and press Enter.
4. Close Command Prompt window and try to start the virtual machine again and now it'll work fine without any problem.
Thanks to our reader "Frustrated" for sharing the solution...
Other similar articles that may interest you
- MailBrowserBackup: Backup Your Web Browsers and Email Clients Profiles
- How to Access Additional Hidden Regional Wallpapers in Windows 7?
- Download Portable Version of Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera Web Browsers
- How to Install and Apply Custom 3rd Party Login Screens in Windows without Replacing Default LogonUI.exe File?
- Download Microsoft Office 2013 Free Customer Preview
- How to Remove Search Box from New Tab Page in Internet Explorer?