[Fix] Can’t Install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows 8 and Later
We know that Windows 8 and later operating systems don't come with Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 but there are many 3rd party software programs which require .NET Framework 3.5 installed in Windows. So people use online or offline methods to install .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows 8 or later as given in following tutorials:
But there are a few people who have faced problems while installing .NET Framework 3.5. When they try to install it, they receive error messages such as the source files could not be found or downloaded, etc. These error messages contain different error codes such as 0x800F081F or 0x800F0906.
To fix these problems, we posted a troubleshooting article which allows you to install .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows 8 and later without receiving any error messages:
The above mentioned guide helped a lot of people and fixed the error messages but still there were a few people who were not able to install .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows 8 and later. Then an AskVG reader Patrik posted a different solution which worked for those people.
Patrik: I have three Surface Pro 3 with Windows Pro 8.1 that have the same issue. .NET Framework 3.5 will not install. I've tried both via DISM, Programs and Features and via full install setup. I have tried to uninstall every single Windows update on the machine and then install via DISM, but that didn't help either. I even tried to install all three KB-updates (KB2966826-8) to see if I can uninstall them to get rid of potential dll-files that could be interfere with the .Net 3.5 setup. So I then decided to wipe it clean via Windows own restore system guide. But it didn't even work after I have done a clean Windows install. Immediately after Windows installed I tried to enable the .NET 3.5 feature, and of course DISM didn't work either. I have called MS support to get some assistance, but I guess they will call back in a few days or so. Finally, I have solved the issue after many hours. I found a setting in the local computer policy.
Today in this article, we are going to share the solution given by our reader Patrik so that all Windows 8 and later users can install .NET Framework 3.5 without any problem.
This solution should work for all devices whether its a Desktop PC, laptop or Surface tablet running on Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 operating systems.
If you are also facing problems while installing .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows 8 or later, check out following method to fix the issue:
1. Type gpedit.msc in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Group Policy Editor.
2. Now go to:
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System
3. In right-side pane, look for "Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" option.
4. The option would be set to Not Configured. Double-click on it, set it to Enabled and enable "Contact Windows Update directly to download repair content instead of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)" option.
That's it. Now try to install .NET Framework 3.5 again using Control Panel -> Programs and Features or by using DISM command and now you'll not face any problem.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- What is “SkyDrive Pro” Option and How to Activate it or Remove it from Context Menu After Installing Microsoft Office 2013?
- True Burner: Another Free CD / DVD Burning and Copying Software
- 15 Things To Do After Installing Windows 7
- Download “AeroVG” Theme for Windows Vista
- [Tip] Enable Automatic Bookmarks Backup in Mozilla Firefox at Exit
- Download Awesome Windows 8 Metro Theme for KMPlayer