[Firefox Tips] Disable Add-on Signature Check, Suggested Sites on New Tab Page and Website Blocking Feature
Recently Mozilla released a new version of Firefox web browser to stable channel which comes with many new features and improvements as mentioned in following article:
But there are a few changes or new features which might cause problems to a few users and users may want to disable them. Some of those unwanted features are as following:
- Add-on or extension signature check requirement
- Malware protection against websites containing unwanted software downloads
- Suggested website tiles on New Tab page
Starting from Firefox 40.0 version, the browser will automatically check for the verified signature whenever you try to install an add-on or extension in Firefox. If the add-on has been verified by Mozilla and contains correct signature, Firefox will allow you to install the add-on. If the add-on doesn't contain verified signature, Firefox will show you a warning message such as "Add-on could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed with caution". In upcoming versions of Firefox, Mozilla will permanently disable unsigned add-on installation and you'll not be able to install unsigned add-on or extensions.
Mozilla has also enabled additional malware protection in Firefox which automatically disables websites containing unwanted deceptive software. Whenever you try to open such website, Firefox will show you a warning message such as "This web page has been reported to contain unwanted software and has been blocked based on your security preferences." By using this feature, Firefox sends some metadata such as website URL, file name, file type, file size, etc to Google's Safe Browsing service to know whether the website and software file is safe or not. Some users may not want to send any data to Google for privacy reasons.
Also if you open New Tab page in Mozilla Firefox new version, you may notice new unwanted website tiles which are suggested by Firefox based on your browsing history. Many users will like to disable these suggested tiles on New Tab page.
Today in this tutorial, we'll tell you ways to disable all these unwanted features in Mozilla Firefox. So without wasting time lets start the tutorial:
Disable Add-on Signature Check Requirement in Firefox
We'll need to use Firefox advanced configuration tool "about:config" to disable add-on signing enforcement.
1. Open Firefox and type about:config in addressbar and press Enter. It'll open the configuration editor.
2. Now type xpinstall in Search filter box and it'll show a few results in the window.
3. Double-click on xpinstall.signatures.required preference and it'll change its value to false. Alternatively, you can right-click on the preference and select Toggle option.
That's it. It'll immediately disable add-on signature check requirement and Mozilla will no longer show warning for unsigned add-on or extensions.
Disable Blocking of Websites Which Contain Unwanted Software Downloads
Although we do not recommend disabling this feature but if you are sure a website is incorrectly blocked by Firefox and want to turn off this security feature, following steps will help you:
1. Open Preferences by clicking on Hamburger-style (3 lines) Menu button -> Options.
2. In options window, go to "Security" tab and uncheck following 2 options:
- Block reported attack sites
- Block reported web forgeries
That's it. Now Firefox will not block any website and will not send any meta data to Google.
Disable Suggested Website Tiles on New Tab Page
1. Open a new tab and click on Settings icon (gear icon) present on top-right corner of New Tab page.
2. Now uncheck "Include suggested sites" option if you want to keep "Show your top sites" option enabled. Otherwise select "Show blank page" option.
That's it. Now Firefox will no longer show suggested website tiles on New Tab page.
Posted in: Mozilla Firefox
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Awesome “HTC Home” and “Metro Home” Desktop Widgets for Windows Vista and 7
- How to Disable Protected View in Microsoft Office While Opening Email Attachments or Downloaded Files?
- [FIX] Windows Vista or Server 2008 Computer Hangs and Stops Responding While Applying User Settings at Login Screen
- mDesktop: Free Lightweight Utility to Create Multiple Virtual Desktops in Windows
- [Tip] How to Forcefully Restart a Hanged Mobile Phone With Non-Removable Battery
- Download “Refresh Windows Tool” to Perform Clean Install of Windows 10