Get Facebook Messenger for Windows and Web Browsers
UPDATE 2: (April 08, 2015) - Facebook has released a standalone web version of its messenger which can be used in any web browser. You can check out the new Facebook Messenger for web browsers using the link given at the end of this topic.
UPDATE 1: (March 03, 2014) - Facebook Messenger for Windows is no longer available for download as Facebook has discontinued support for its messenger for Windows operating system. You can try other similar software such as Skype, Trillian and Pidgin as an alternative to Facebook Messenger.
If you are a Facebook user, here is an exciting news for you. Facebook team has released the official Facebook Messenger for Windows users.
Facebook Messenger is basically a chat client for Windows which allows you to chat with your Facebook friends without going to Facebook website using a web browser. So you can consider it similar to Windows Live Messenger or Yahoo! Messenger.
Using Facebook Messenger, you can:
- Chat and message with your friends on Facebook
- See the latest updates from your friends in ticker
- Get quick notifications about what's going on
Facebook Messenger can only be installed in Windows 7 at the moment. When you install it, it asks you to login using web browser. As soon as you log into your Facebook account in web browser, the messenger application automatically logs you in.
The interface looks as shown in following screenshot:
As you can see the UI is very simple and similar to Facebook website UI which helps you in getting the same feeling which you get while browsing Facebook website.
The messenger window also allows you to dock it to the right-side of your computer screen which makes it look-like a Desktop sidebar. To dock it, you just need to click on the small icon given at the extreme bottom-right corner of messenger window. Or you can right-click on messenger icon in system tray and select "Dock Window to Right" option. To put it back, you can either deselect the option or click on the same icon present in bottom-right corner of messenger window.
You can log out anytime by right-click on its system tray icon and select "Log out" option. Keep in mind, it'll also log you out from main Facebook website in your browser.
You can get it using following link:
You can also join us on Facebook using our official Facebook page:
Posted in: Gadgets & Internet
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Move / Show “Navigation Pane” at Right in Windows 7 Explorer?
- Enable Hidden Secret “Debug” Menu in Microsoft “Purble Place” Game in Windows Vista and 7
- [Fix] Small Download Arrow Icon Showing on Start Screen Tiles in Windows 8.1
- How to Use Mozilla Firefox Metro Version in Windows 8? Fix Metro App Launching Desktop Version
- How to Restore “Show Desktop” Shortcut Icon in Quick Launch Toolbar in Windows?
- Personalization Panel: Change Desktop Wallpaper and Get Aero Glass Transparency in Windows 7 Starter and Home Basic Editions