Enable Hidden Secret “Debug” Menu in Microsoft “Minesweeper” Game in Windows Vista and 7
This article will help you in enabling a hidden secret "Debug" menu in Microsoft Minesweeper game which comes pre-installed in Windows Vista and 7. This secret "Debug" menu will allow you to cheat in the game. You can instant win, show mines, show cheat keys, quickly customize game style and board background using this new secret menu.
Recently we shared a detailed tutorial about revealing secret "Debug" menu in Windows Vista and 7 built-in games:
The above mentioned method requires editing of a system file using Resource Hacker tool. Its a bit complicated task and requires expertise to properly edit system file.
If you don't want to edit the file manually, we have also provided an already modified file at the end of this tutorial for your convenience. You just need to download the file and replace existing file in your Windows with this new one. That's it.
By default Minesweeper game window looks like following screenshot:
And when you enable secret "Debug" menu, it looks like following:
As you can see, the new "Debug" menu allows you to instant win, show mines, cheat keys and many other things in the game which are not accessible without using this hack.
And that's not all. You also get direct access to options for customizing game style and board background as shown in following screenshot:
How to Instructions:
Following are simple steps to follow to enable hidden secret "Debug" menu in Minesweeper game in Windows Vista and 7:
1. First download and install Resource Hacker using following tutorial. The tutorial will also help you in learning how to use this awesome tool:
2. Now launch Resource Hacker and open following file in it:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Minesweeper\en-US\Minesweeper.exe.mui
Note 1: Here C: is the system drive where Windows is installed. If you installed Windows in any other partition, replace C: with that partition letter.
Note 2: "en-US" folder is found in English language Windows versions, if you have a different language version of Windows, replace en-US with your own localization string like fr-FR, etc.
3. Now expand Menu -> 163 and replace existing code in right-side pane with following code:
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
MENUITEM "&New Game\tF2", 40006
MENUITEM "&Statistics\tF4", 40003
MENUITEM "&Options\tF5", 40004
MENUITEM "Change &Appearance\tF7", 40002
POPUP "Change Game Style"
MENUITEM "Minesweeper", 40020
MENUITEM "Flower Garden", 40021
POPUP "Change Board"
MENUITEM "Silver and Blue", 40022
MENUITEM "Green", 40023
MENUITEM "E&xit", 40005
MENUITEM "&View Help\tF1", 40008
MENUITEM "&About Minesweeper", 40007
MENUITEM "Get &More Games Online", 40025
MENUITEM "Toggle Cheat Keys", 40010
MENUITEM "Toggle Show Mines", 40011
MENUITEM "Test Text", 40013
MENUITEM "Win", 40015
4. Now click on "Compile Script" button and save the file.
5. That's it. Now launch the game and get ready to enjoy hidden "Debug" menu.
Download Already Modified MUI File:
If you don't want to modify the MUI file manually, you can download following ZIP file, extract it and you'll get already modified Minesweeper.exe.mui file.
Download Link (for Windows 7)
Download Link (for Windows Vista)
You just need to replace existing .MUI file present in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Minesweeper\en-US\ folder with this new one.
To replace default file, first rename it to some other name like Minesweeper_backup.exe.mui and then copy and paste new downloaded Minesweeper.exe.mui file in this folder.
NOTE: If you don't see the "Debug" menu after replacing the file, do as following:
1. Click on "Start button -> All Programs -> Accessories". Right-click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run As Administrator". If you are prompted to enter password, enter the password and continue. You can also open Command Prompt in Administrator mode by typing "cmd" in Start Menu Search box and press "Ctrl+Shift+Enter".
2. Now type mcbuilder and press Enter. Wait for a few seconds to finish the command process and then restart your system.
Now you should get "Debug" menu without any problem.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Windows 8 Free Release Preview (RC Build)
- How to Show AM / PM Symbols in System Tray Clock in Windows 7 and Later
- [Review] Samsung Galaxy S4 with Google Android 5.0 Lollipop
- Finally a Way to Enable Transparency in Windows 8 Without any Bug or Glitch
- How to Customize Default Places Bar in Windows Common File Dialog Box?
- Download Free Old Versions of Almost All Popular Software