Resource Hacker 4.2.0 Now Available for Download
"Resource Hacker" is one of our favorite Windows software which is used to edit various system files such as dll, exe, cpl, etc. Most of the times its used to modify Windows look-n-feel, for example you can change look of various dialog boxes, menus, etc.
We have posted an exclusive review and many other useful tutorials about Resource Hacker at following links:
- [Review] All About Resource Hacker, The Ultimate Windows Customization Tool
- List of Resource Hacker Tutorials to Customize Windows Look-n-Feel
Now some good news! Our friend "Angus Johnson" who is the developer of this tool, has released an updated stable version 4.2.0 of Resource Hacker which comes with many improvements and some new features. That's a major update and every Resource Hacker user should download and install the new version.
What's new in 4.2.0 version:
- Redesigned user interface (UI) and icons
- New toolbar which can be disabled using Edit -> Preferences -> Hide Toolbar option
- New Preferences option under Edit menu to customize default fonts, language, color, etc
- Unicode support
- Removal of Language type menu from resource tree structure
- Improved display of ANI Icon/Cursor
- Major redesign to properly handle RC files
- Now its easy to compile RC script files from commandline and GUI
- Now its easy to create resources from scratch
- Addition of script templates for new resources
- Addition of search feature
- Bug fixes related to compiler
- Also available in portable version which doesn't need installation
What was new in 4.0.0 version:
- Main changes include better displaying of images (esp. 32-bit images)
- Allows creating RES files from scratch (including template dialog, menu, string table, version and manifest resources)
- Numerous cosmetic improvements
What was new in 3.6.0 version:
- Can decompile/compile 64-bit executable
- Added PNG image support
- Added PNG icons support
You can download the new version using following link:
NOTE: People who want to create and use a portable version of Resource Hacker, just install it using the setup file and after installation, copy "Resource Hacker" folder from "C:\Program Files" folder to any other desired location like another drive, USB stick, etc and then run the EXE file from there. You are ready to enjoy the portable version.
UPDATE: Now an official portable version of Resource Hacker is also available for download at the website.
Posted in: Software
Other similar articles that may interest you
- 5 Tips to Customize “File Save” Page in Microsoft Office Applications
- Collection of Boot Screens of All Windows Versions from Windows 1.0 to Windows 7
- How to Show AM / PM Symbols in System Tray Clock in Windows 7 and Later
- How to Restore Uninstall Confirmation Prompt Box in Windows Vista and Later?
- How to Import Feeds into Windows Live Mail from Other RSS Feed Readers
- True Burner: Another Free CD / DVD Burning and Copying Software