Long time back we shared a detailed guide to remove or activate the greyed out "SkyDrive Pro" option from file/folder context menu in Windows 7 and Windows 8 operating systems. Actually when you install the latest Office 2013 suite in Windows, it adds a new option "SkyDrive Pro" in file and folder context menu (right-click menu). Unfortunately this option doesn't work, its greyed out i.e. disabled. You can't use the option so basically its a useless addition to the context menu.
We discovered a Registry tweak to remove or activate this context menu option. You can find the tutorial at following link:
With the help of the above mentioned guide, you can delete the option permanently from context menu or you can make the option working.
Recently thanks to our reader "BtilEntrails", we came to know about a new update KB2810019 released by Microsoft which can also remove this greyed out option from context menu. Actually Microsoft released an update for SkyDrive Pro which fixes several issues present in the software and the greyed out "SkyDrive Pro" context menu option is also a part of the fix list.
Microsoft has acknowledged this issue and according to Microsoft:
When you right-click on any file or folder in a computer that has SkyDrive Pro installed, the context menu entry of SkyDrive Pro is displayed as shaded and is not clickable. This entry should not be displayed.
The update also fixes following issues present in SkyDrive Pro:
- Two strings are not translated into 40 languages in SkyDrive or SkyDrive Pro.
- Assume that you copy multiple files into a local folder of SkyDrive Pro. When you try to access the context menu of SkyDrive Pro, it takes about 10 seconds longer than expected for the context menu to appear.
- Some SkyDrive Pro error messages are unclear or imprecise.
- You have to manually disconnect and re-synchronize a library when SkyDrive Pro stops synchronizing the library.
- When you download or upload files by using SkyDrive Pro, you receive authorization error messages.
- SkyDrive Pro continues to retry uploading the files that have failed because of QuotaExceeded.
- When you use the Taskbar icon in SkyDrive Pro to stop document library sync, SkyDrive Pro crashes.
- In some cases, synchronization does not work as expected.
- If you rename a file two times and then delete the file in SkyDrive Pro, the file cannot be deleted.
If you don't want to modify Registry yourself and if you don't want to apply any Registry tweak, you can download this official hotfix from Microsoft website to remove the unwanted "SkyDrive Pro" option from context menu:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- ViStart 8.1: Best Free Start Menu Alternative for Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8
- [Exclusive] Customize “Win+X” Menu in Windows 8 – Add, Remove, Rename or Move Shortcuts
- How to Fix File or Folder Rename Problem in Windows Vista?
- [Guide] How to Take Ownership (Permission) of a Registry Key in Windows?
- Add Cascading Menus for Your Favorite Programs in Windows 7 Desktop and My Computer Context Menus
- Classic Shell 4.0: Get Classic Start Menu, Classic IE and Explorer Toolbar Buttons Back in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1