Download Windows Defender Offline (aka Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Tool) to Remove Malware from Infected PC
UPDATE: A new tool "Windows Defender Offline" has also been released by Microsoft which does the same job. Interesting thing is that it looks almost similar to the previous Standalone System Sweeper Tool. Another interesting thing to notice is that the downloaded file names are also same and you can't run both of them at the same time as Windows shows error message that one instance of the program is already running. So basically both programs are same, only names are different.
Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Tool is a free recovery tool from Microsoft that can help you start an infected PC and perform an offline scan to help identify and remove rootkits and other advanced malware. In addition, it can be used if you cannot install or start an antivirus solution on your PC, or if the installed solution can't detect or remove malware on your PC.
Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Tool is not a replacement for a full antivirus solution providing ongoing protection; it is meant to be used in situations where you cannot start your PC due to a virus or other malware infection.
To get started, please make sure that you have a blank CD, DVD, or USB drive with at least 250 MB of space. Next, download and run the tool. The tool will help you to create the bootable media required to run the software on your PC.
You can create a bootable USB drive or bootable CD/DVD to start and scan the infected PC. You can also create an ISO image file for later use.
Posted in: Software
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Free Microsoft Office 2013 Professional Plus, Visio 2013 and Project 2013 60-Day Trial Versions
- Taskbar Shuffle: Freeware to Move Taskbar and System Tray Buttons in Windows
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Version 1607) Available for Download
- Windows Live Web Messenger: Web Based WLM, No Download or Installation Required
- [Bug] Taskbar Context Menu won’t Close in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1
- How to Convert Microsoft Office 2013 Trial Version into Full Version without Reinstalling?