If you are a Mozilla Firefox user, you might be aware of the "New Tab" page which shows your recently visited web pages as tiles in form of a 3x3 grid. Firefox allows you to delete a tile or pin a tile but no other options are provided. You can't change background image, you can't add new tiles, you can't increase number of rows or columns, etc.
Today we are going to share an excellent add-on for Firefox which allows you to tweak and customize "New Tab" page in Firefox. "New Tab Tools" add-on allows you to:
- Change New Tab page background image
- Change tile thumbnail image
- Increase or decrease number of rows and columns of tiles
- Show homepage launcher at bottom which contains shortcuts to settings, add-ons, etc
Following is a preview of "New Tab" page after customizing with this add-on:
Its a must have extension for Firefox if you regularly use "New Tab" page to access your favorite websites. Once installed, it automatically adds the about:home (homepage) launcher at the bottom of "New Tab" page. It also adds an icon to change "New Tab" page settings at the top-right corner of the page.
When you click on the settings icon, you can change desired website tile's thumbnail image. You can also force Firefox to show the complete thumbnail on tiles. You can also apply your favorite wallpaper as background image of "New Tab" page. If you wish, you can set the homepage launcher to have a darker background.
There is an extra "More options" link given at the bottom of the "New Tab" page settings sidebar. You can click on it to change some advanced settings.
Once clicked, it opens the add-on options page where you can customize number of rows and columns showing at "New Tab" page. It allows you to decrease rows and columns number up to 1 and increase the number of rows and columns up to 10. Firefox also has a built-in tweak to change number of rows and columns in new tab page. Just enter into about:config page and change values of browser.newtabpage.rows and browser.newtabpage.columns according to your requirements. By default both are set to 3 but you can set any desired number as their values such as 5, 10, etc.
If you don't want to show homepage launcher on "New Tab" page, you can disable it from the add-on options page.
You can download the add-on using following link:
Thanks to our reader "Carbonize" for sharing it...
Posted in: Mozilla Firefox
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Disable Warning Message While Unchecking “Hide Protected Operating System Files” Option in Folder Options
- How to Install Windows 8 in Virtual Box or VMware Workstation?
- [Fix] An Error Occurred While Troubleshooting: A Problem is Preventing the Troubleshooter from Starting
- Customize Windows Vista and 7 Media Center Using Media Center Studio
- Create Portable Version of “FeedDemon” RSS Feed Reader for USB Drives
- Download Free Windows 7 RTM 90-day Trial Version