Create Simple Script to Show / Hide Checkbox to Select Items in Windows Vista and Later
We have posted 2 similar tutorials in past about creating scripts to show/hide hidden file or folders and file extensions in Windows:
- Create Simple Script to Show / Hide Hidden Files and Folders in Windows
- Create Simple Script to Show / Hide File Extensions in Windows
We also posted tutorials to add options to show/hide hidden files or folders and file extensions in Desktop and Explorer context menus to make the task a lot easier and quicker:
- Add "Show / Hide Hidden Files" Option in Desktop and Explorer Context Menu
- Add "Show / Hide File Extensions" Option in Desktop and Explorer Context Menu
Today in this tutorial, we are going to share another similar script which can be used to show/hide checkbox to select items in Windows Vista and later Explorer upon request from one of our very active readers "TheAslan".
This script when executed, checks the status of "Use checkbox to select items" option and toggles its value. So if its set to hide checkbox, it changes the option to show checkbox and vice versa.
Simply copy paste following code in NOTEPAD and save the file with name "Show_Checkbox_On_Off.vbs" (including quotes):
FileExt = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\AutoCheckSelect"
Set Sh = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
St = Sh.RegRead(FileExt)
If St = 1 Then
Sh.RegWrite FileExt, 0, "REG_DWORD"
Sh.RegWrite FileExt, 1, "REG_DWORD"
That's it. You can place this script at any location like Desktop, Quick Launch toolbar and whenever you need to toggle the "Use checkbox to select items" option, simply run the script.
PS: If you don't want to create the script manually or face any problem while creating the script, you can download a ready-made script using following link:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Customizing “Screen Resolution”, “Gadgets” and “Personalize” Options in Windows 7 and Later Desktop Context Menu
- How to Automatic Log into Windows Without Entering Username and Password?
- How to Remove Default Search Box from Internet Explorer Toolbar?
- Microsoft Office 2016 Preview Version 16.0.4229.1024 Available for Download
- Download Windows 8 and Windows 10 Boot Screen for Windows XP
- Master Security Lock Code for LG CDMA Fixed Wireless Phones (FWP)