Create Simple Script to Close and Restart Explorer Automatically in Windows
Many times we need to log off or restart Windows to apply the changes made by a registry script or software. Sometimes we can avoid the log off or restart by doing a simple "End Task" of Windows Explorer and restart Explorer using Task Manager as mentioned in following tutorials:
- Hidden Trick to Exit Explorer Using Shutdown Dialog Box in Windows
- Hidden Trick to Exit Explorer Using Start Menu in Windows Vista and 7
But doing End Task and restarting Explorer using Task Manager requires a few manual steps. Wouldn't it be great if you can get a simple shortcut on Desktop or Quick launch toolbar and simply click on it to automatically end task and restart Explorer?
Today in this tutorial, we are going to share a simple Batch script which can end task of Explorer and then restart it automatically.
Simply copy paste following code in NOTEPAD and save the file with name "Restart_Explorer.bat" (including quotes):
echo Simple Script to Restart Windows Explorer
echo Created by "Vishal Gupta" for AskVG.com
echo STEP 1: Closing Explorer . . .
TASKKILL /F /IM explorer.exe
echo STEP 2: Starting Explorer . . .
echo SUCCESS: Explorer is running.
That's it. You can place this script at any location like Desktop, Quick Launch toolbar and whenever you need to restart Explorer, simply run the script.
PS: If you don't want to create the script manually or face any problem while creating the script, you can download a ready-made script using following link:
- Add "Restart Explorer" Option in Desktop and Explorer Context Menu in Windows
- [Guide] Different Ways to Close and Restart Explorer in Windows
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Visual Subst: Automatically Create Virtual Drives for Your Desired Folder in Windows Explorer
- [Fix] Windows XP SP3 (Service Pack 3) Setup Error: Access is Denied, Installation did not Complete
- “Windows Experience Pack” Available for Windows XP, Vista and 7
- How to Customize Login Screen Background Image in Windows 7?
- Windows 8 Will Come with Hyper-V, Microsoft Confirms
- [Windows 8 Upgrade Paths] How to Upgrade from Windows XP, Vista, 7 to Windows 8?