Create a Virtual Drive for Your Desired Folder in My Computer Using Subst Command
Today we are going to tell you about a secret DOS command "subst" which can be used to create a virtual drive in Windows Explorer for any of your desired folder.
For example, if you frequently use a folder "E:\Wallpapers", then you can create a virtual drive in Explorer which will directly go to this folder whenever you double click on it or access it from RUN or Command Prompt. It'll save a lot of time.
Here is how to do it:
1. Open Command Prompt and provide following command:
subst drive_letter: folder_path
for example, if you want to create a virtual drive letter H: for a folder "E:\Wallpapers", then use following command:
subst H: E:\Wallpapers
2. It'll immediately create a virtual drive H: which will represent the "Wallpapers" folder:
Before using subst command:
After using subst command:
3. As you can see. A new drive letter H: has been created which directly goes to "E:\Wallpapers" folder upon double-click.
4. If you want to delete this virtual drive, then provide following command:
subst drive_letter: /D
for example, we created H: drive in Step1, so our command to delete this virtual drive would be:
subst H: /D
5. You can view a list of all existing virtual drives by simply giving subst command without any parameter in Command Prompt.
A. Remember! You can't use existing drive letters for creating virtual drives, e.g. if you have 2 partitions C: and D:, then you can't use them for subst command.
B. If your folder path contains spaces, put the whole path in double-quotes ("").
C. You should not use chkdsk, diskcomp, diskcopy, format, label and recover commands on virtual drives created using subst command as these virtual drives are not real and these commands either will not work or can cause problems for the actual drives where the folders reside.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Dataone Quick Usage Finder (DQUF) Utility for BSNL Broadband Users
- Download Winamp 2 Classic Skin for VLC Media Player
- Download Windows Defender Offline (aka Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Tool) to Remove Malware from Infected PC
- Download Angry Birds Boot Screen for Windows XP
- How to Fix Annoying Folder View Type Change Problem in Windows
- List of Best Free Online Virus Scanners