We here at AskVG regularly share Windows themes, skins, wallpapers and other customization stuff. Sometimes people get confused with different terms which are used for various customization goodies such as visual style, msstyles, etc.
That's why today in this topic, we are going to post some frequently asked questions (FAQ) with answers so that you can understand them better.
So without wasting time, lets share the QnA list:
Q. 1. What is a Theme/Visual Style? Are both same or is there any difference between them?
=> Visual Style & Theme are not same. But many people use these words in same manner. Actually Visual Style has extension .msstyles, while a theme has extension .theme.
Visual Style is the main file, which skins all parts of windows, like border, titlebar, buttons, etc. A theme file stores all settings, like icons, wallpaper, etc along with the visual style.
Q. 2. When I opened Display Properties, I got only 3 Visual Styles, Blue, Olive Green and silver. How can I get more?
=> You can download lots of themes and skins for Windows and other software from following section:
Q. 3. I downloaded some Visual Styles, but none of them are working on my computer. Am I missing something?
=> By default, Windows doesn't allow 3rd party themes. So you'll need to patch a file uxtheme.dll to allow 3rd party themes. Take a look at following article:
Q. 4. Can I edit my downloaded .msstyles file?
=> Yes, You can use Resource Hacker to edit themes, but it requires some expertise.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Access Linux Partitions (ext2, ext3, ext4) From Windows in Dual-Boot System?
- How to Restore Missing Search Option in Windows Vista Start Menu After Installing SP1?
- Fix Slow Performance Issues and Tabs Not Loading Problem in Google Chrome by Disabling Hardware Acceleration Feature
- Download Mac OS X Lion Login Screen for Windows XP
- Download Windows Vista Dark Theme “VistaVG Black” for Windows XP
- How to Create Backup Image of Bootable USB Drives?