Change Windows 8 Start Screen Green Background to Purple, Black or Blue
NOTE: This method only works in Windows 8 Developer Preview build.
Recently we told you how to customize Windows 8 Developer Preview Start Screen green background and other Metro UI stuff in following tutorial:
Now if you don't want to modify the system files manually but want to get rid of the green background, here is excellent news for you.
Our friend "thepanda-x" @ DA has modified the required file and uploaded it so that everyone can download and use in their Windows 8 system. This file will change the green background to purple, black or blue.
Following are previews of Purple, black and blue versions in action:
HOW TO USE:
1. First download the required file using following link:
Download Purple Version Download Black Version Download Blue Version
UPDATE: The developer has removed the files.
2. Now extract the ZIP file using WinZip, WinRAR or 7-Zip and run "Takeownership.bat" file.
3. Now go to "C:\Windows\System32" folder and rename "shsxs.dll" to "shsxs.dll.old" and "uxtheme.dll" to "uxtheme.dll.old".
PS: If you face problem while renaming the files, you can try to take ownership again using any of following tutorials:
- Add Take Ownership Option in File / Folder Context Menu in Windows XP, Vista and 7
- [Guide] How to Take Ownership (Permission) of a File or Folder Manually in Windows?
4. Now copy new shsxs.dll and uxtheme.dll files (which you got from the extracted ZIP file using Step 2) to "C:\Windows\System32" folder.
5. That's it. Restart your Windows and now you'll enjoy the new purple background in Windows 8 Start Screen.
NOTE: To restore default green background, simply run "Uninstall.bat" file present in downloaded ZIP file.
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Enable “Inline AutoComplete” Feature in Windows Explorer and Run Dialog Box?
- How to Program and Use Airtel Digital TV (ADTV), Tata Sky DTH and Videocon D2H Universal Remotes with your TV Set?
- How to Enable Secret “Middle Click to Paste Clipboard Content” Feature in Mozilla Firefox?
- How to Change Email Storage Location in Windows Live Mail
- How to Turn Caret Browsing On or Off in Mozilla Firefox?
- [Review] The New “Australis” UI of Mozilla Firefox Web Browser