Notepad Statusbar Bug Found in All Windows Versions
Today we are going to share a bug present in Notepad program which comes bundled with all Windows versions. This bug exists in almost all Windows versions including Windows XP, Vista, 7 and Windows 8:
1. Open Notepad and enable "Status Bar" from "View -> Status Bar". If this option is disabled, then first uncheck "Format -> Word Wrap" option and now enable Status Bar again. Actually Notepad doesn't allow to have Status Bar along with Word Wrap feature. You can have one of them enabled at a time. But there is a registry hack, using it you can have both of them at the same time.
Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. Now go to:
In right-side pane, change value of StatusBar to 1.
2. Now open any existing text file (Yeah, you have to open an already saved file to check this BUG) and put your cursor to any line, you'll see its location in Status Bar.
e.g. we assume that you put the cursor at column 3 of Line 3, then it'll show "Ln 3, Col 3" in Status Bar.
OK, fine then what's the BUG? Now press <Ctrl>+S or Choose "File -> Save" and look at the Status Bar. VOILLA, it'll show "Ln 1, Col 1" irrespective of the actual Line and column Number, that was "Ln 3, Col 22" in our case.
Sometimes you may have to press <Ctrl>+S twice to re-create this BUG.
So the BUG is whenever you save an existing file, Notepad will show "Ln 1, Col 1" in Status Bar and it'll be corrected when you move the cursor.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Registry Tweaks to Customize Taskbar Navigation and Start Screen Settings in Windows 8.1
- Get Windows 8 Charms Bar in Windows XP, Vista and 7
- [Skin] Get Windows 10 Look-Like Start Menu in Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1
- How to Enable or Disable Verbose Status Messages in Windows Login Screen?
- [Tip] How to Copy Text from a Dialog Box Quickly in Windows?
- [Fix] “Windows cannot Change the Password” Error Message in User Accounts in Control Panel