BgInfo: Show System Hardware and Software Information on Windows Desktop Background
There are many ways to check your computer hardware and software information such as using System Properties, using dxdiag command, using systeminfo command, etc. You can also take help of 3rd party software such as HWiNFO for detailed system information.
- How to Get System Hardware Information and Monitor System Health in Windows?
- [Tip] How to Find Out Date and Time When Windows was Installed in Your Computer?
But opening system properties or executing commands requires various steps and mouse clicks. Wouldn't it be great if you could show your computer hardware and software information on your Windows Desktop so that you can see it immediately whenever required?
Today in this article, we are going to share a free and very small utility for Windows operating system which can show your system information on Desktop background for easy and quick access. It can be used in Windows XP and all later Windows versions.
BgInfo is a free software created by Sysinternals team at Microsoft which allows Windows users to show their desired system information on Desktop background as shown in following screenshot:
It can show following information on Desktop:
- System Type
- User Name
- OS Version, IE Version, Service Pack Details
- CPU, Memory, Volumes, Free Disk Space
- Network Card, Network Speed, Network Type
- Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, DHCP Server, DNS Server, IP Address, MAC Address
- Host Name, Machine Domain
- Logon Domain, Logon Server
- Boot Time, Snapshot Time
You can add or remove desired fields from display on Desktop background. To remove any field, just delete its line of code from the left-side area of the program. You can also add new fields by clicking on "Custom" (User defined fields) button, it'll work like showing text watermark on Desktop.
It also allows you to change and customize font type, size, style (bold, italic, underline), font color and text alignment (left, center, right).
You can also change and select text location on Desktop using "Position" button. You can put the information on left, center, right, top or bottom on screen.
By default, this tool copies current user wallpaper and saves a new BITMAP (BMP image file) for it containing system information and then applies the BITMAP as Desktop background. That's why it doesn't consume any extra system resource and doesn't run in background. If you want, you can set any desired wallpaper as background for this tool using "Background" button in this program.
You can also take a backup (export) of your customized settings using "File -> Save As" menu. It'll save the configuration information as .bgi file. In future, you can restore (import) BgInfo settings using "File -> Open" menu and then select the saved configuration file on the same system or a different computer.
If you want, you can add the program shortcut in Startup folder to run it at system startup.
To remove the information from Desktop, either log off/restart your computer or apply a different wallpaper using Desktop Properties.
Interested people can download the tool using following link:
Thanks to our reader "ianM" for sharing it...
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Internet Explorer 10 Allows to Switch Between IE5, IE7, IE8 and IE9 Rendering Modes
- How to Restore All Configuration Settings of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) to Default Using Command Line
- How to Choose Desired Windows 7 Edition / Version During Setup?
- Windows 10 Release Date, Pricing Details and System Requirements
- Create Direct Shortcut to “All Apps” Page of Windows 8 Start Screen and Pin it to Taskbar
- Moo0 WindowMenuPlus: Add Extra Useful Menus to Windows Explorer