"Alt+Tab" is one of the most frequently used keyboard shortcut (hotkey) in Windows OS. Whenever you need to switch to another running program, you just need to press "Alt+Tab" keys together and Windows shows you a list of all running programs with live thumbnails and window titles. You can select your desired program using "Tab" key or using your mouse cursor and it'll immediately switch to that program.
This "Alt+Tab" switcher screen can be found in almost all Windows versions and Microsoft keeps improving its functionality in each new version of Windows. If we talk about Windows 8 "Alt+Tab" switcher screen, its quite similar to Windows 7. You'll not find any noticeable UI change in the screen.
By default, Windows doesn't allow you to tweak or customize this "Alt+Tab" switcher screen. There is no option provided anywhere to change its UI or settings. But there are hidden ways to customize "Alt+Tab" switcher screen in Windows. You can tweak various settings in Windows Registry to customize the screen such as thumbnails size, icons size, horizontal or vertical spacing, margins, text offset, etc.
Modifying registry is a little complicated task and you'll have a hard time in finding the appropriate values to customize these things, that's why today in this topic we are going to share a free and portable software to tweak and customize "Alt+Tab" switcher screen in Windows 7 and Windows 8.
"Alt Tab Tuner" is a freeware created by our friend hb860 which allows you to customize "Alt+Tab" switcher screen appearance in Windows 7 and Windows 8. With the help of this tool you can do following things:
- Change thumbnail size
- Change horizontal spacing between thumbnails
- Change vertical spacing between thumbnails
- Thumbnail margins
- Horizontal and vertical offset settings of small icons which are shown in bottom-right corner of thumbnails
- Title text offset settings
- Width of focus border which is shown around thumbnails
- Change number of rows and columns of thumbnails (Windows 7 only)
- Customize screen transparency (Windows 7 only)
- Add fade effect when switching to Desktop (Windows 7 only)
- Enable Windows XP style classic "Alt+Tab" switcher screen
You just need to run the tool and there you can change desired settings using the given sliders.
Once you make the desired changes, click on "Apply" button and the freeware will automatically restart Windows Explorer to take effects. Following is a preview of the changes which you can make to "Alt+Tab" switcher screen using this freeware:
As you can see in the above image, we have decreased the size of thumbnails, icons and we have also modified spacing between thumbnails.
If you don't like the new changes or want to restore default settings, you can click on "Restore Defaults" button and it'll reset the "Alt+Tab" switcher screen to default.
The software comes in 2 different versions: one for Windows 7 and the other for Windows 8. You can download the desired version from following link:
Also check out:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Mozilla Introduces New “Online Installer” (Stub Installer) for Firefox Web Browser
- How to Enable Good Old Windows Vista and 7 Style Start Menu and Disable Metro UI in Windows 8 Developer Preview?
- How to Access Linux Partitions (ext2, ext3, ext4) From Windows in Dual-Boot System?
- [Did You Know] Ultimate Collection of Mozilla Firefox Hidden Secret Features
- Get Windows 7 Desktop Context Menu in Vista, Add “Screen Resolution” and “Gadgets” Options
- WinBubble: Freeware to Customize and Tweak Windows Vista and Windows 7