[Tip] Add Secret “Hide File Names” Option in “View” Menu in Windows Vista and Later
In this tutorial, we'll tell you how to add an extra option "Hide File Names" in "View" menu of Windows Vista and later.
After following this tutorial, you'll get "View -> Hide File Names" option in any particular folder or all folders depending upon the method:
1. Open a folder, in which you want to add this option. If you want to add this option in all folders, then open the parent folder. e.g. if you want to add the option in every folder of E: drive, then open E: drive.
2. Right-click on a blank area in the folder and select "Customize This Folder...". You can also get this option from "View -> Customize This Folder...".
3. It'll open "Customize" tab. Now select "Pictures and Videos" option from "Template" drop-down box. In Windows 7, Pictures and Videos options are given separately. You can select any of them.
NOTE: If you want to add the option "Hide File Names" to a particular folder then make sure to un-check the option "Also apply this template to all subfolders", otherwise enable this option.
4. Now Apply it and see the magic.
Now you'll get an extra option "Hide File Names" in "View". Which can hide file/folder names in that particular folder.
Actually in Windows XP we can hide file/folder names by pressing <SHIFT> key and selecting "View -> Thumbnails". Since they have removed "Thumbnails" option from "View" menu, that's why this option was added to folders having their templates as "Pictures and Videos".
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Add Program Shortcuts and Other Useful Shortcuts with Icons in Desktop Context Menu in Windows 7 and Later?
- Add “Hide” and “Unhide” Options in File / Folder Context Menus in Windows
- Tuneup Utilities: A Complete Windows Tweaking and Customization Software
- Enable Hidden Secret Folder View Animation in Windows 7 Explorer
- Hidden Secret Service Menu Codes for Sony, Samsung, LG and Philips TV
- How to Install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Offline in Windows 8 and Later without Internet Connection?